Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be Afraid of Diablo III

Be Afraid of Diablo III

As many people knows, Diablo III is at months to be released, and this game can become one of the most controversial for fans, because it break everything we love of the prequel (Diablo II).

This controversy born from the deal that in Diablo II you have to build your character, choosing his skills wisely and giving a lot of points to vitality (when you level up you gain 5 points for stats and 1 for skills, as levels are limited, you have to be sure in what to spend every point). In Diablo III the formula is different, every time you level up your character will automatically learn every skill he can, and it will auto sample the stat points, letting out any bit of creativity. Blizzard said that the creativity in building characters wouldn't die, because now you can only have 6 skills and 2 passive skills, which it will make the decisions harder when you do your character.

Blizzard upload to internet a skill calculator to show players how funny would be to equip your characters with his/her skills. I play with this and sadly I found it was pretty lame.

Skill Calculator.
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Qel!cWV!ZbZaYY

The main problem I found was that, there was no room for creativity, I tried to do a Demon Hunter (character who use range weapons) as a mele character with traps, but the game constantly force me to use range weapon skills, even more the traps the character have are few and you can't make a good character with only few skills, you are forced to play the game as Blizzard told you. In contrast, in Diablo II you could build a Assassin (mele character) as a range trap character, because you have the freedom to do it.

This impression goes beyond how Blizzard force you to play as the character should be played, to also how bad the skills are. I'm not saying are useless, but plenty of the skills are USELESS. Example: Demon Hunter's have a passive skill named Hot Pursuit, which gave you 10% more movement speed when your hatred (is like a mana bar) is full. This skill is useless because as many Diablo fans know, there are plenty of items that can gave you extra movement speed. Not only this skill is bad, but there are plenty of active skills that just don't work with the other skills (Demon Hunter's are range trap characters, and some skills are summons or close range damage, which I see as a failure, because if you are forced to play as a range character you wouldn't need any close range damage or summons).

The 6 skills max look more like a problem for Blizzard than for us, because you can easily build a good character with just 6 skills (specially because most characters don't have more than 23 skills and half of those are useless).

So, are you afraid or exited? Do you think Diablo III can be a good game? be better than the previews? or Blizzard would fail?

I still play Diablo II from time to time and I love the skill tree system. I wasn't too broken up when they removed it in DIII.

The deal breaker for me is the always-online totally-not-DRM requirement. I think I've mentioned in 65% of the posts I've ever made that my Internet isn't exactly top-of-the-line, even after the upgrade from dial-up to 3G. After buying a new computer, I'm not worried about not being able to run it or anything. Everything about Diablo III was a "must buy" for me till they announced the DRM. My Internet has disconnected twice in the time it took for me to type up to this point (2 minutes).

Yes, I think Diablo III will be a good game. No, I won't buy it. I'm not gonna pay for something I can't play. Wish I could. Was looking forward to it for the better part of my high school career.

This is pretty rad

so once you choose a skill you're not stuck with it forever like in diablo 2?

btw have you heard about the auction house in the game

is it that bad or that epic?

Yeah.

I don't really see a problem in it (I know a lot of people have), but in Diablo II you could always buy items through "illegal" websites, the only difference now, is that you help Blizzard (it can be good or bad) and Blizzard can regulate it (it can be good or bad). So at the moment I'm in a neutral position (everything can be better or worst, but its just hypothetical).

I'm more worried about that you need Internet to play (not everyone have), you can't change of computer (if you are in other place, you can't get your stuff from another pc) and the limit of 4 players per co-op.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonChild101 View Post
    is it that bad or that epic?
    We don't know yet, that why I'm afraid )=.

my gaming mentor(haha my dad) played the 2 one n thought it was ok
    then again he was the RPG geek b4 computers so his opinion may be skewed

but you should see some of the really old stuff he has from the old days man... true inspiration
    we think we have inmaginations

As a rpg is very debatable as good vs bad game (it wouldn't be bad, but I don't know if it would be perfect), but its a hack & slash rpg which very unique game play mechanic, this make it more unique as a game, the mechanic it's really rewarding if you have a strong strategy to build your character (if you don't, you will have a big penalization).

For my Diablo I and II were awesome, both different, but with a same style. Now the III is pretty different, it went to a different direction from the dark and Gothic style from the other Diablos, to a more Warcraft style with rainbow (the developers said they took away the rainbow). I totally recommend this game, but only if you are going to think every step you do (if you are the kind of person who only want to kill stuffs and no think, this game is not for you).
    Diablo II must be played with the expansion and the actualization to have the full experience.

I saw some gameplay from the Beta and my initial though are this: there are many skills that are the same. Example: The Witch Doctor Toads have the same functionality than Zombie Charge and other skills.
    Last edited by ClockHand; 09-19-2011 at 01:38 AM.

told you dark sh*ts awesome

i dont know how good id b at diablo cuz god knows im good at killin stuf n i can think ahead but only a few paces
    plus me n tactics...