Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You're doing it wrong!

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.

You're doing it wrong!

Point out games you think have yet to/ have not reached their potential.

First off, I'm gonna just say a personal favorite of mine, which is Dark Void.
    It was awesome as is, but it just lacked in a lot of areas when it came to being its own game. Sometimes it just felt like Gears with jetpacks and aliens. But it did have its redeeming moments.

Left 4 Dead 2: Could have been so much more =_=, still fun.

Unreal Tournament 3: Rose up to the plate with excellent freaking graphics, as I'd expect with a game from Epic. But compared to UT2k4, it faills pretty badly when it comes to gameplay. It's still fast paced and fun, with a few new things here and there. But it's just missing those magic pieces 2k4 has. Plus, as much as I love the art design in UT3, and how it's influenced my own art. Everything just looks wayyyyyyyy too beefed up, the guys, the vehicles, the freaking women...it's insane. Wish someone had told Cliff to save that shit for the Gears series instead of making every single man woman and creature do steroids. Ah who am I kidding, I still play it daily lol. It's just too beautiful.

Proceed.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    L4D2 should've just been an expansion pack, srsly. And man, what iconic American game character //isn't// way too beefed-up? It's like the polar opposite of Asia, where the prettiest, frailest looking men tend to be the most powerful. We need to find some mid-ground here. I think young Snake was the best we're gonna get: the right portions of macho and handsome.

Agree so much on UT3.

FFXIV. It's a beautiful game and a lot of work clearly went into it, but as an FFXI player I can tell you straight out that SE can make an MMO a thousand times better than this shit. In fact most of the games SE has made for the last few years have fallen short in some way, with a couple of exceptions.

I agree with L4D2 and Final Fantasy XIV.

I would say:

Final Fantasy XIII. The game looks ok, but it has nothing of interesting. The gameplay is not challenging, and its to much auto-attack, just to make it look more live, while other games like Valkyrie Chronicle or Eternal Sonata do this in a better way. The story is just awful and no character really sparks out of it.

Tekken 5. I like the idea of having levels kinda of arcade games and all that, but the game is SOO weak in the whole story mode. The story is bad, the whole system is weak and the rpg elements just don't bring anything cool to it. Also: Bob.

Transformers(including almost all other movie based games), since i think it was just made cuz there would be people willing to buy a transformers game just cuz of the movie release. And knowing that the studios either didn't want to do anymore then they could have or the movie producers didn't give them enough time(although there were a few that were released separably). I just feel in my bones that those could have been one of the MOST EPIC GAMES OF 21 CENTURY but fuck they just put in some stuff shove some more stuff and tossed it into the mixer and put some shaving cream on top of it, and it ain't even edible!!!!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
    Transformers(including almost all other movie based games), since i think it was just made cuz there would be people willing to buy a transformers game just cuz of the movie release. And knowing that the studios either didn't want to do anymore then they could have or the movie producers didn't give them enough time(although there were a few that were released separably). I just feel in my bones that those could have been one of the MOST EPIC GAMES OF 21 CENTURY but fuck they just put in some stuff shove some more stuff and tossed it into the mixer and put some shaving cream on top of it, and it ain't even edible!!!!
    There was a Transformers game for the PS2 which was pretty darn sweet, and also hard as steel.

Seconding FFXIII, it was trying to change the FF formula just for the sake of changing the formula and it worked out like a bag of rotten apples. By which I mean I traded my copy for apple juice not even kidding.

Its sad because there are plenty of games who have changed the way you play rpgs in a big way (vagrant story, Valkyrie chronicles, eternal sonata, chrono trigger, chrono cross and even the final fantasy III/VI & XII) but what they did with Final Fantasy XIII was actually rape us (I actually felt kinda raped after I play it).

I like they want to change the formula, but the direction they took it was like they troll over all their fanbase.

I like that they change the formula a little now and again; like in FFVII you have materia instead of the equivalent way of learning spells in other FF games, and limit breaks being changed into trance/overdrive between FFVII, FFIX and FFX, but FFXIII completely and utterly remixed the traditional RPG thing they usually use, which I think means they should have released under a new intellectual property - it's not anything like an existing FF, so don't mislead us into thinking it is.

I agree. All the FF have been completely different from each other, but every single one of them had a element of tactic, which was killed in FFXIII with Libra+Auto-Attack. And I know they tried to bring the elements of Libra+Auto-Attack+Paradigm to make the game more fast and alive, but I think we all agree they did it WRONG (as the op says), and having so big amount of games who did it right, its kinda funny how they rape us with that game.

Actually, I will not going to buy any videogame developed by Square Enix in a long~long time.

I'm still waiting to see a rpg with eternal sonata fighting system mixed with the one of vagrant story. Which mean moving characters per turn (with a limited duration of 5 seconds or less), do mele damage with a button and with another the game is paused so you can enter to a spell/items option window and cast them (which are going to use seconds of your turn). I would be happy with a rpg with that combat system.

Armored Core V.

The first previews were all about them going "back to basics" and forcing you to work as a team by shrinking your mecha to the size of a family car. Reg was overjoyed, since this is really a factor that has been missing since the PS1 original, and alot of fans have called them out on it before besides me... The newest trailer?... Fifty-foot tall death machines punting tanks around like paper models.

I actually really liked the last title, ACFA, which was more than a little over the top. But this is just silly. If I wanted a michael bay's transformers game, I'd squish some tin foil into stick figures and bash them together like a five year old with ADHD.

Thanks for listening to us, From Software. :/