Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cora's art dumps - I'M BACK kind of... ; - ;

Nisaren you are totally right!!! I looked at Alice after reading your comment and her chest definitely needs to be fixed ! Man I wish I had thought to study lizards/snakes already... that's probably going to be really helpful. Stupid dragons >

So here's a sketch I'm working on Any anatomy mistakes (or other mistakes that just scream at you)? Also suggestions for her dress would be awesome!

Last edited by corastaur; 01-28-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Heeeeey so since I haven't posted in like a month I wanted to post an update of stuff i've been working on

SPOILER! :

Most of this month has been focused on classes... stupid midterms... but other than that I've been focused on trying to draw emotions. I became obsessed after reading this: Lackadaisy cats expression tutorial <--- so much love for this

So heres my month:

SPOILER! :
    first time really practicing expressions. Obviously in a very basic way...

SPOILER! :
    -- Drawn on gb one night

SPOILER! :
    -- This was... I think i was trying to give her big eyes with the goal being cuteness. The dress was aiming for a 20's look. Ignore her legs they were done really quickly and they look wonky I know >_<

SPOILER! :
    Siiiigh my first real OC with a story behind him. Well there's one developing in my head and on paper... very slowly...

I tried to draw different emotions to practice 1. drawing with consistency and 2. getting to know him better:

I didn't totally succeed but it was fun anyway my main issue was trying keeping the hair and nose consistent (which didn't exactly work)

SPOILER! :

... this is in progress. The goal is for it to be a very thin girl (eating disorder/image problems) staring in the mirror and seeing someone bigger than her actual reflection. Basically I was trying to illustrate body dysmorphia but I haven't gotten much farther.

SPOILER! :

One of my first attempts at a black and white bg thingy. The thing that looks like a weird draped thing was originally going to be a girl and then... well lets just say I've been meaning to go erase her haha. Also the way the hill slopes back by the tree is not the way I want it but I haven't fixed it yet.

So yeah that was my month in drawing I have some others that i did traditionally but I haven't scanned them in. Most of them were trying to figure out profiles and eye foreshortening (and expressions of course... I watched the Lion King and paused it frequently drawing their expressions. So much fun!) I'm so sad that I haven't colored the elf girl from above ^ ... I also haven't practiced dragons So many things to practice/finish and so little time Any critique or comments are helpful hopefully they've helped me improve...

Also... I looking at the elfish girl above, I think i'm going to learn how to draw lace and add it to the strip around her waist. I think it'll add a little something yeah?

Love everything you've done I've been studying them trying to find any errors that stand out to me, so I don't just comment saying how much I like your things, but I can't see anything o.O I envy your ability to draw curly hair! you seem to have got expressions and emotions down really well, you can instantly tell what emotion you're trying to portray. And I think you did draw the guy consistently, you can tell its the same character I think maybe the only thing that makes it look slightly different, is sometimes when drawing his hair you drew some of the lines fuzzier/wavier, so it looks more wavey or puffed up than in others, but that's the only suggestion I have for consistency really. Great job, can't wait to see more!

Thank you Shadowsfade! Well I have a little bit of an obsession with curly hair so most of my characters seem to wind up with it... I actually have a much harder time drawing straight hair >_< You're definitely right about him... I think in the next couple of days I'll go back and work on making his hair style consistent There are so many things I want to practice and become better at that I can't decide where to start XD

Everything is so gorgeous I love the flapper design, always loved that 1920's fashion. You really have a knack for those big innocent looking eyes. I really like the last picture somehow it reminds me of Sleepy Hollow but that's probably because it seems foggy and dreary.

Thanks spidergoth I know isn't 1920's fashion awesome? I love it!

This is something I drew up on the gb today and inked/colored it after.

SPOILER! :
    I'm posting two versions, but the only real difference is I tried to light one from below. I'm thinking of changing the color of the hair and the wings from black and white to something else. I haven't decided what yet. If I change the black and white part of the wings I would probably also change the multi-colored spots. Basically i really want some critiques on the coloring, something just isn't quite right for me.

Thanks for the help! <3

Edit: I slightly changed things.... hopefully for the better. Sorry for so many versions of the same thing -___-

SPOILER! :

Last edited by corastaur; 02-28-2012 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corastaur View Post
    Thanks spidergoth I know isn't 1920's fashion awesome? I love it!

This is something I drew up on the gb today and inked/colored it after.

SPOILER! :
    I'm posting two versions, but the only real difference is I tried to light one from below. I'm thinking of changing the color of the hair and the wings from black and white to something else. I haven't decided what yet. If I change the black and white part of the wings I would probably also change the multi-colored spots. Basically i really want some critiques on the coloring, something just isn't quite right for me.

Thanks for the help! <3

Edit: I slightly changed things.... hopefully for the better. Sorry for so many versions of the same thing -___-

SPOILER! :

There is one big thing I am noticing that has nothing to do with anatomy and color choice. This is the fact that it seems like you are almost afraid of pushing the values. Don't be afraid to use darks you really need them to push the drawing to the next level. maybe you can revisit what it means to "contrast" so the person can stand out more. Don't give up.

I really love your fairy! She's very pretty, and well proportioned! I like the idea of the marking, too, and the colors in the wings. The only thing that I'm having a problem with is the dark grey of the wings. It may be a contrast thing, like Apple's saying, but for some reason, the grey doesn't seem right. It might be just a personal opinion thing, but because it's so soft, even though it's a very different color from the the prismatic parts of the wing, it seems a little too dull, and doesn't stand out. Yeah, actually, I do think it's a contrast issue, just cause the other colors are so nice and soft, I think maybe the other part should be more stark, so that the colors are brought out more?

You can take or leave my advice, since I'm not sure. But I really love how you did the color parts in the wings, and her markings! It's also a very tasteful pose :3 She's very cute!
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Siiigh, yes this is definitely something that I struggle with. I think it stems from the time when I worked pretty exclusively with watercolors. I was always so afraid to use more intense colors and my paintings wound up looking washed out. Its very frustrating and definitely something I need to work on. I tried adding more contrast to her skin and a bit in her wings, but it didn't turn out much better.

SPOILER! :

She looks a bit sunburnt to me... bah

I think, and let me know if you agree on this, that I need to put this picture aside and go practice my coloring. Maybe i'll stop by the line art bank thingy and practice with some of the pictures there. I can come back to it later and fix her up, cause I'm very fond of her...

If i totally missed the mark with what you guys meant by contrast definitely let me know, cause I wasn't really sure... haha Thank you both so much for the help and advice!!! I really appreciate it!

I personally think her wings look better :3 At least, in my opinion, cause there's a definite separation of colors in the wings now. I can see the line between the top and bottom set better, too. Imho, I think the wings look fine (did I say that enough times? I can find other ways to construct a sentence to say the same thing again, if you like :P )

I do agree that she looks a little red, but the contrast between shadow and light is more definitive. Perhaps you could try just changing the hue a little bit, or the saturation, to remove a bit of the redness? That might help. But otherwise, I think you've made improvements :3 I'm not the queen of coloring myself......so that's just what I think looks okay :3
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique