Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cora's art dumps - I'M BACK kind of... ; - ;

Really, really cute! Wonderful job!!!

Those are ridiculously cute :3 and the first picture with the woman with a guitar looks amazing

D'aaaw thanks guyz!! I love you all <3 and I really appreciate the compliments and feedback :3 Shadows and Reg, you guys are definitely right about the legs. They're short... :/ I need to do some figure drawing/anatomy practice. I keep telling myself that, but I seem to have become obsessed with faces... Im not sure why, but its happened. The practice needs to happen or I'm worried I'll start getting rusty and lose the progress I've made O.O

Its been like a month... but I've finally had time to draw again. So here's some stuff:

SPOILER! :

I posted her line art version 'cause I don't like something about her lips, but I can't figure out what it is that I don't like... u_u
    edit: You know what it is? They look flat for some reason. >:[

SPOILER! :

This is obviously inspired by the shire, but it needs work. I'm debating adding more detail/texture to different things like the house and the tree, as well as adding in maybe more plants or flowers in the yard. It all feels kind of blah and i feel like I needed to have used more contrast or something. What do you guys think? This is definitely not my strong point... BUT I'm workin on it like a beast XD

Anyway that's all I've got for now, I have some traditional sketches that I might post later. Its just a couple more faces (I told you I've become like obsessed...) and one thing that I kind of want to turn into a more detailed drawing.
    Happy summer guys
    Last edited by corastaur; 06-20-2012 at 12:05 AM.

It sounds like you've realised it yourself anyway, but I think for the lips, you'd just need to vary the colour values a little more. At the moment, they're quite dark all over - possibly even the darkest part of the picture - so I've just tried adjusting the saturation and lightness on the lower lip and on the farthest away part of the upper lip:

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule for these things, but usually I find (assuming the light's coming from above) that making the lower lip lighter than the upper lip helps a lot.

oooooOOooo really nice. one thing i see that could be fixed is that the mouth (which is very well done....it looks so soft and squishy...OAO) is that the mouth isn't aligned with the eyes and the rest of the face. It seems that the whole lower face deviates from the upper part somewhere around the bridge of the nose.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

I'm just beginning to learn rules for making good backgrounds etc, but I agree with your thinking of adding more contast - I think you could make the fence (?) in the foreground much darker, and not have the middle ground with the tree and door and stuff so light - it's the main focus of your drawing, and it's really light atm, so it doesnt stand out or draw your eye to it. Then maybe just again try adding more contrast with your shading? There's some slight shading on the tree, but they're very similar greys so it's hard to pick out. It's looking good so far though and I love the girl in pink, so cute and gorgeous hair!

Oh hey guys Long time no see! So I'm finally heading back to school on monday, and since I haven't really been active on here all summer I wanted to basically do a MASSIVE art dump of stuff i've done since I've been gone. Iiii think I've improved a bit... ALSO I made my own charcoal guys! I got willow sticks from freaking willow trees and I wrapped them in tinfoil and stuck 'em in a fire and they turned out perfect! So here's the dump, in spoilers 'cause it's long... I'm going to try to do it in order so that it ends with the most recent drawings.

SPOILER! :

Some of these may have been posted before... if so sorry

The ones at the top were 5 and 10 sec gesture sketches.... soooo yeah o///o

Close ups :
    SPOILER! :

....... when that mt superhero contest thing was up I wanted to participate so I was working on a superhero called K9... not very original but um she basically had super smell, night vision, super hearing, and some other shizz that I dont remember. My bro helped me come up with her. That was brainstorming for her costume. u///u

Was filling in for a receptionist and had NOTHING to do so I did some ref practice on facial features. Unfortunately I was an idiot and didn't save the refs... -.-
    Close ups:
    SPOILER! :

Got a new sketchbook and did some cutesy stuff

and more faces cause i'm apparently obsessed with faces at the mo

Oh man that one makes me laugh. His eyes are just so huge! XD

For the previous two I was trying hard to sort of avoid my default facial features... and it kind of got weird so yeah.

Was annoyed with those guys so I did some facial feature practice cause thats what I do when I'm stuck.

These were sans refs

And now for the main stuff... don't worry there's only 2. These were larger projects? The first lasted me a majority of the summer cause i was so angry at it. It's a portrait thingy-majig of me and my sibs when we were little. I was experimenting with the watercolors and it just went to crap. The second is my first charcoal portrait of a family friend's daughter. Some of the proportions are off and bug me like no other but whatever. Also the colors are absolutely rubbish with the camera. Ugh >:[

-Fin-

I'M SORRY THERE WAS SO MUCH!!! u////u I didn't realize when I started out posting but ugh. Please comment and critique since thats the best way i can figure out how to grow artistically. :3 I am not overly proud of the last two, but I figure I can only improve dang it!

Refs for the portraits:

SPOILER! :

Last edited by corastaur; 09-29-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Cora i dont even o.O you've done so much and it's all so awesome!! the portraits at the end are soo good, stop worrying! and your family friend's daughter is mega cute

I like the serene expression of the girl with the purple hair, and your gesture draws/ anatomy practice is all awesome. I feel like I must leave at least one critique... the only thing that stands out to me is the cute cat lying down in your cutesy section, the legs are too short - cats either have their legs extended in front of them, in which case they'd be longer, or folded underneath them, in which case you'd see a slight bump - this seems to be in the middle. but thats just me nitpicking anyway, and isnt even the focus of most of your work xD

Wow, those are all wonderful ;__; I loved the cute creatures you drew, and all that eye and facial practice xD the one thing I do see in the faces is that I think you make the nose bridge a bit long, but that is probably stylistic but thought I would mention it anyway

Also something I did notice on the very last portrait is that you could have extended the girls mouth a bit more to the right so you get it like in the photo

Thank you guys :3

Shadow: You're definitely right about the cat's legs. The story was that the cat I was using as ref (my kitty btw :3 ) has that black spot right where her legs bend and I was just lazy and didn't feel like drawing it... <.< bad cora.

Demon: ugh yeah the girl's mouth. >.< That thing was evil to draw, and you're right. I wish I had seen that earlier -_- And yeah for some reason the noses I draw have a tendency to be on the longer side...

Today is my first day of classes (of my senior year)! Wish me luck... I have plans to do more traditional drawings/sketches that I'll try to post up here. But classes must come first