Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wacom's New Inkling Pen

My dad showed me this about a week ago. The idea of sketching with vectors and layers traditionally is awesome. My tablet and sketchbook are just fine for now, though, and I definitely don't have another $200 to throw around.

I sell Wacom stuff where I work, they whole range is pretty neat tbh. I do think they are worth the money, but it also depends what you want from it. Personally, I think it's so much more convenient and versatile.

A friend was using a similar pan at univerity. That is a 2-3 years ago. You just write and it saves an image of your drawing/writing. The cool part was that it also recorded the sound. He used it at lectures. When you transfer the data to a computer you can read your lecture and click on a specific text/image to hear what sound was recorded at this time. Was kind-a cool.

So it's not something new but I bet Wacom made a great device here.

similar to what violin was saying, I actually have owned a somewhat similar device for about 4 or so years now. Though this seems like a vast improvement; i don't have layers or pressure sensitivity, on top of that this seems more portable (the thing i have is a full clipboard and pen combo). Although thinking on it, I suppose the thing i have wasn't necessarily designed for artists; the bundled software was supposed to be able to take written text and convert it to a text document, could never read my handwriting though.
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...

Fenn
    Very interesting. Perhaps as the tech becomes more efficient and effective prices will drop. Then I will seriously consider this

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Um, why not just keep a sketchbook and a good felt-tip pen? I mean, it's not like you can't use a good scanner and a few seconds of Photoshop...
    it returns your image into vector. It is a big deal. no more pulling on bezier curves.
    Last edited by apples13; 09-24-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    It think it's just a matter of how you work with your images digitally and for your own convenience. If you work with vector, for example, this is an absolute plus since you don't have to redraw your drawing. If you want to draw traditionally but keep separate layers digitally like this:

...then this would also be convenient.

It's kind of interesting to hear there were similar tech in use already but for different purposes. I wonder how far Wacom will this into the future. Speaking of which, they've improved their Cintiq and is now available in HD.

Hopefully this means the current Cintiqs will become dirt cheap. But then again they probably won't for a while. Stupid technology copyright laws and all that.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Wish I had a workspace that cool. That guy looks hella into it.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Hopefully this means the current Cintiqs will become dirt cheap. But then again they probably won't for a while.
    This. Either that or they create a line of Cintiqs that are more affordable than the ones they currently have kind of like the Bamboo vs Intous line.

Btw, someone mentioned here before that they were going to get a Cintiq. I wonder if they got it yet... <_<