Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Art Equipment

Basic Art Equipment

Okay, as you might have seen in my 'Lets Exercise' post. I need some help on getting back into drawing.

Anywho, just curious. What are some basic stuff I will need, besides a sketch pad and pencils. I know that is pretty basic, but I am looking for stuff like on what type of pencils and what type of sketch paper. Stuff like that.

I want to buy the stuff in whole, so I can get started all at once.

So any help would be great.

I am sort of on a budget, dealing with finance problems, so I say my limit is like $100-150.

I think this was explained a lot of times already.

but I guess I would just recommend what I used to use.
    I would go for hb pencil, and a little darker pencil like 4b.

and a pointing pen. I use 0.4, although it depends on the brand of the pen

101 Dalmations Member
    . .I use an #2 mongol pencil for sketching. .and a 0.5 fabrecastell black or blue for the inking process. . .^^. .its cool once you get the hang of it. .but if you're new to the art. .simple hb and 2b pencils will do. .^^hb for sketch ..2b for outline. .maybe use 4b for the shades^^

Okay. Thanks guys, and yeah I am sure it has been explained. Though I was kind of lazy to really search. And just wanted to see if anything new, that I should pick up.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    HB, 6B, 2B, maybe an 8B, and maybe an Ebony. Graphite pencils.
    Get some charcoal pencils too if you can, those are pretty fun actually.
    Buy the pencils single, packs cost more.
    Get an Art Gum eraser and a good old white eraser. Kneadable erasers suck, but they make for good fun.
    Should cost about $10 for all of that, maybe even less, assuming you don't already have a sketchpad.
    Google around for art stores near you and check out their prices.

Alright. I am not sure what art stores might be around me, but it can't hurt to look.

Okay, so this might be a novice question, but I guess I am a novice. xD So what does each pencil, that you mention, do, that the others don't? Same for the erasers. I think you mean, those big chunky erasers you see in art class, but I am not exactly sure.

Ironic I was put in art class 2 times in a row, even though I didn't consider myself that good, in high school. And then even put in Art 2. So I guess the teachers saw some kind of artisticness(I know this isn't a word) in me. xD

Well, the pencil names mean they range in hardness which goes as following:

Hardest 9H-H
    Medium F-8B
    Softest HB-9B

B means Black
    H means Hard
    F is finepoint

So you usually want to use a range of the medium pencils. So stay in the B's if you draw rough.

As for the erasers. Here's some info from wiki.

Art Gum
    Another eraser type that is popular with artists is the art gum eraser, made of gooey, coarse rubber. It is especially suited to removing large areas, and it does not damage the paper. However, they are not very precise. Gum erasers tend to crumble as they are used, so this type leaves a lot of eraser residue. This "eraser dust" must then be brushed away with care, as the eraser particles can leave marks on the paper. Many artists use a tooth brush to sweep away the loose eraser residue. Art gum erasers are commonly tan or brown.

White erasers (vinyl)
    Soft vinyl has a plastic-like texture and erases more cleanly than standard pink erasers. They are somewhat softer and non-abrasive, making them less likely to damage canvas or paper. They are prone to cause smearing when erasing large areas or dark marks, so these erasers are more frequently used for erasing light marks and precision erasing. Engineers favor this type of eraser for work on technical drawings due to their gentleness on paper. Vinyl erasers are commonly white.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I agree with Gunz on everything. The only other things I can suggest are tortillions for blending, and that's about it.

I still don't agree that such a wide range of pencils should be used to start out with, because many newer artists use the hardnesses as a crutch and don't learn about pressure control. Very easily, all of your artistic needs can be accomplished with a 9B, HB, and 4H. Even then, the 4H and 9B would only be used for detail elements (or in the 9B's case, large expanses of black).

Oh okay. I thought you meant the big eraser for the white one.

Anywho, thanks for the info. I will definitely keep that in mind when going shopping. Btw. Should I buy just any sketch pad or do you think I should buy a specific one that might fit my needs?

Hi Celestial Fox. Long time, no see.

Anywho, my first question for you. What is Tortillions. I would look it up, but I figured I would get better info from an artist than a wiki.

So you are saying it isn't good to use the medium type, pencils and instead go for the hardest?

Still kind of confused now. xD
    Last edited by Shuro; 09-12-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Tortillion is a fancy word for a rolled up stick of paper for blending lol. Basically, all you really need to get started is probably a lead pencil that uses 0.6-0.7 lead, and a standard HB#2 school pencil. Should be just fine haha.

Also a sketchpad that has 'sketch' paper should be alright. That's what I use. There's also multimedia paper and newsprint, but sketch is good all around.

edit: you don't really need specifically a tortillion for blending. Use toilet paper, paper towels, a chamois if you want.