Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good tips and tutorials, plus some encouragement!

Banned

Looking for good tips and tutorials, plus some encouragement!

Hey guys,

I'm a humble beginner when it comes to drawing. I gave up on this beautiful art about 8 years ago after my grandmother savagely criticized my cute sketches.
    I was young at the time, so that's probably why I reacted the way I did.
    My father kind of encouraged me to pick up drawing again, "but maybe not manga."

Following this incident, I don't feel comfortable to draw my own characters anymore, or to draw manga. However, I did find a bunch of nice tutorials which teach beginners how to draw cartoon-ish animals and monsters.

Here are my questions:
    Do you know any website that would be helpful to kids who like drawing? I need very clear step-by-step guides.

Are there any websites which teach people how to draw chibis? Mine always look creepy! I think that chibis would be a nice way to start drawing manga again.

How can I get over this whole thing as an artist?
    I don't really talk to my grandmother anymore, and I'm extremely self-conscious when it comes to showing my drawings to other people.
    I still live with my parents, and I basically gave up on concealing stuff from them because they're respectful, and also because I'd rather be honest and tell them that I want to draw.

This may seem ridiculous but I'm extremely sensitive, and I need to find a way to get my confidence up again.

Thanks!

I heard about a site named Mangatutorials, I don't know if you are familiar with it.

If you don't show your work, your improvement is going to be little or almost none, big part of being an artist is knowing to deal with critics.

Banned
    Manga Tutorials is fine, but I need easier tutorials to start with. I already have a few websites that I like, but not all of the tutorials are worth using. I can draw nice-looking circles, but that's pretty much it.

I know from experience that it's possible to improve just by drawing. I did have a scanner when I was still a young teen, but I had trouble improving my work just by reading comments.
    That being said, I'll soon be able to hook up a scanner to my computers. I promise you that I'll post all of the drawings which I think I need help with.
    I'm fine with receiving critics on the internet. What I'm not fine with is having to
    accept criticism that comes from someone which wasn't allowed to see my drawings and who doesn't know anything about manga.

If I hadn't been that young (I think I was about 12, 13 tops) I would probably have taken this whole thing a LOT better.
    Moreover, I'm torn between trying to be a good artist and trying to have fun.
    I'm not saying that you can't be good AND have fun, but it's just that little bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I heard about a site named Mangatutorials, I don't know if you are familiar with it.
    be serious with this girl clock, she's asking for help.

anyway leannah, you could try drawing books.
    try downloading "how to draw anime and game character"
    or how to draw manga vol 1-?

as for chibi, you could try manga mania chib

I'm being zeriouz.

I prefer you start with human anatomy rather than anime anatomy or tutorials to learn how to draw like someone else. It gave you a better sense of dimensions, anatomy and how to handle the developing of your own style (also because I find most anime draws a step back on drawing skills).

Banned
    Thank you very much Ramiel. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me. Don't worry, I won't listen to distracting comments
    I just downloaded the book you suggested. I'll try to find the other one too.
    I personally like the anatomy of characters in manga. To each his own. I'll learn with books to draw manga.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I'm being zeriouz.

I prefer you start with human anatomy rather than anime anatomy or tutorials to learn how to draw like someone else. It gave you a better sense of dimensions, anatomy and how to handle the developing of your own style (also because I find most anime draws a step back on drawing skills).
    yeah i guess your right about that.
    it's better to know more about bone structure and muscles.
    but it's the hard part though. but if you think she can handle it, then i guess all is good.
    i just suggested stuffs for her to think 3d.

Banned
    I'm too much of a beginner to delve right into anatomy and complicated stuff.
    As long as I keep drawing cartoon characters like animals, I don't need to study human anatomy.
    I'll practice drawing some guidelines to get the proportions right. I already use guidelines anyway.

uh no, eventually you need to study anatomy, even if your just drawing some anime style, (don't really know about cartoon though.)
    but you don't have to force your self into what you think your not gonna enjoy for now.. but just remember that eventually you should remember to go back into studying anatomy.

before jumping to human body i suggest you study drawing objects.. although i'm pretty sure that it's all in the book that i recommended.

Banned
    I'll listen to you, especially since I have trouble positioning the eyes. I just drew two animals which turned out horrible so I had to erase both drawings. I tried to make them look better but failed. It's okay because I know what I should work on now, thanks!