Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

The deal is that not everyone use magic, I didn't and still not, so I couldn't cast Light upon myself. And I didn't knew about the sunlight maggot. So Tomb of the Giants was horrible. And I think that experience was and is the same for every new player.

You used Havel's armor against the 4 kings? >.<. I have never used that armor and when I fought the 4 kings I didn't have enough endurance or anything to kill them quickly (they were the first of the lord souls I needed, but as I didn't have enough level, they were bitches/bullies).

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Dark Souls, at its heart, is still an RPG, so it's still very much affected by how you build your character. It's just that it's also possible to do it without building your character at all, just immensely time-consuming and difficult. I went into Skyrim trying to play it like Dark Souls (only somewhat concerned about character build, but not really dedicated), so I found it very annoying to dual-wield since Skyrim is a far more classical RPG that requires precise building of a character to get good results out of it, since the reflex and manual combat is significantly less involved.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 12-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.

As I see it, Dark Souls combat is basically Hack and Slash with rpg elements, while Skyrim is more of a FPS that depends on perks and weapons.

Pretty much. Which is why true action RPGs will always be superior. It presents a new level of open-endedness. Even basic action RPGs like the old Tales games and Mana games, Terranigma, etc. had some kind of technique to fighting that, if done better, could get you through areas 10 or 15 levels under par. In Skyrim, there's so little movement involved (or so little that's actually effective), especially in melee combat, that it really just boils down to stacking resistances, stacking status effects on yourself and against your enemies and betting on DPS to win your fights.

I think the big point (as you pointed) is movement.

Pretty much. Movement is an essential in gaming for me nowadays. Even if it's just something abstract and representative like Valkyrie Profile's movement. As long as there is an effective way to MOVE in a game, you can start depending on mastery of the gameplay mechanics to get you through challenges. That's why Borderlands, though considerably the best WRPG to come out in recent years, still has that big flaw. Movement matters very little against gunfire. You will get potshotted from across a map for half HP if you're underleveled.

I think the first comparison I did between Dark Souls and Skyrim was running. In Dark Souls running feels heavy (you feel your character have a weight), intentional (you feel he is running with everything he/she have) and strategic (waste stamina, which is pretty important). While in Skyrim I felt it like walking fast, the character feels like floating, it doesn't seems intentional and stamina is just a waste (only used for running and heavy hit).

Also, if you want to see something funny: run with your character in the kiln (dark souls) through the dunes and look his foot.

I made this:

Reviving this thread since I've started playing this again.
    James if you're not busy tonight do you want to play some more

No I have to work