Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Dark Souls

So Dark Souls is coming out really soon now, October 4th in North America to be exact. For those who don't know, it's essentially the sequel to Demon's Souls and is going to be as, if not more difficult than Demon's Souls.

From Wikipedia:
    SPOILER! :

Dark Souls (ダークソウル Dāku Souru?) is an upcoming video game being developed by From Software, who will also publish the game domestically as an exclusive title for the PlayStation 3. The game will be published on both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by Namco Bandai Games. It was previously developed under the codename Project Dark and is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls. Dark Souls will be released in Japan, for the PlayStation 3 , on September 22, 2011, and for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, on October 4 in North America and on October 7 in Europe of the same year.

Gameplay

The game will focus on dungeon exploring and the tension and fear that arise when players encounter enemies in this setting. The game is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls (which in turn is considered a spiritual successor to the King's Field games). Dark Souls will take place in an open world environment. The player will battle using various weapons and strategies to survive in a dark fantasy world. Online features will allow players to share the play experience without need for direct communication.
    There will be more weapons, spells, and new classes. It is also said to be 'significantly harder', with more enemies and more difficult encounters. It will include leaving messages to other players, seeing others' deaths, and player versus player (as well as a new co-op system).

So thankfully it's going to have a proper co-op system which should help make the game a bit easier. What I was wondering is who's gonna get this game, and if they want to organize some kind of co-op thing. I think if it's gonna be like DS, we will get to have at least 3 people to help.

So anyway I'm gonna get this for the PS3.

I'm so psyched for this. I love this kind of game and I've heard some amazing things about Demons Souls but I have an Xbox 360 and not a PS3 so this is the first chance I get to experience the series.

I may get it for both systems, I dunno.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I'm going go around pronouncing it "Daku Souru" since the Japanese insist on naming things in Engrish.

How is Dark Souls engrish?

And anyway, I pre ordered it for ps3 today

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    (ダークソウル Dāku Souru?)

So people walk around in Japan literally saying this.

metaweeabos?

im going to get this for the 360

Should I have it?

I like that is a hard game and I really want to feel frustrated in a game, also I like the esthetic's and all that, but there are things that bug me a little.

Is the game just dungeons? like as I have seen it the map is very hallway/hall type, which I believe it force you a lot in how you can approach the enemies. Also most of the gameplay I have seen, everyone play it in a very same way (shield + sword), but there are other ways? like 2 swords, bow or something? or the game force you to play the same way?

Also, there is a way to not allow invasions? like I would hate being fighting against monster and being killed by a douchebag.

Tell me everything is good about the game, because I have seen gameplays and it look kinda retro (the interface remains me to old rpg games) with some good stuffs, but also, I saw a lot of hallways and make it look like a big and pretty arcade game with rpg elements.

I can't say for sure how Dark Souls is going to be, but its predecessor had a few different environments. There was a big castle called Boletarian Palace, a mountain being mined called Stonefang Tunnel, the Tower of Latria which was a prison, an island of ruins called the Shrine of Storms, and this sort of stagnant, decaying swamp area called the Valley of Defilement. A lot of the areas were straight tunnels, but there were quite a few generally open areas as well.
    As for the weapons, in Demon's Souls, you could use shields, swords, spears, axes, bows and crossbows, as well as things like clubs or even just your character's fists. If you wanted to use magic, you had to equip something such as a wand or a catalyst in one of your hands. You could equip any weapon into either hand, so yeah, you can use two swords, an axe and a sword, a sword and a wand, etc at once. Some weapons though were too big to use with one hand, so you needed both your hands to use it properly.

You can play offline by just not connecting your system to the internet, but you'd miss out on player hints and stuff. Early on in the game you don't get invaded that much and the people are generally pretty easy to defeat, but if you play with other people it becomes really easy to defeat any invading people.

And like I said before, I don't know what's going to be good and bad with Dark Souls, but from gameplay videos I've seen, it looks a lot like Demon's Souls, so based on that, the good points of the game are:
    It's not a game that will hold your hand as you play it, and you're not guaranteed to finish the game such as Call of Duty. The game will be hard and if you die there will be repercussions. This is one of those games where if you don't work at it, you're not going to get better. However because of this, when you finish something, it's a really satisfying feeling. Basically, the game is very hard, but it's not unfair. You'll eventually get better and be able to hold your own against enemies you would always lose to before because the game trains you to be better, essentially.
    Another good thing about the game is that everything, your armour, weapons and especially enemies in the game all look really friggin cool. And all the different enemies are based on different models. i.e. most aren't just reskinned versions of other enemies, so that leads to really interesting gameplay.

I don't know if I can describe it well, but despite the game being hard, it was one of my favourite games I've ever played. I haven't had as much fun playing a game for the longest time. Probably since I first started playing games, actually. Anyway, pretty much anyone you'll talk to who's played the game can tell you how good it is and how much fun they've had playing it. People who say it's bad or too hard probably didn't make it past the first level because they're used to playing really easy video games where you can change the difficulty to a lower setting if the already easy settings are too hard.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, there's no difficulty setting. Also, there's no pause button. And everything you do is permanent, so if you kill an NPC, they're gone for good. At least until you beat the game and start a NG+. So yeah, if you're gonna get the game, don't kill the dude that makes weapons and shit for you.