Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Published Works

Self Published Works

I have a few question about self published works. I already know there are a few websites out there that can help get you started, but I want to know more.
    Like self published work is the same as independent, right? What are the pros and cons of being with a major/minor company or doing the publishing on your own? Are there any examples of authors/mangaka/whatever who have become quite distinguished by self-publishing their works?
    Thanks in advance ^^

wow i'd like to know as well.. i wish someone can explain this

I don't know where you guys live, so sorry, I can't give you any specifically helpful links... >_>

Generally, through, self publishing is the best way of "getting your name out there" at the minute. Tokyopop has had a bit of a meltdown since the American reccession and no western country besides Italy really have a strong industry right now.

Good things about publishing yourself; Zero censorship, no ads, you don't have to worry about being constantly rejected, you can work at your own pace, e.t.c...

Bad things about publishing yourself; You have to seriously shell out to print comics and you'll need some place to store them. Getting advertisements of yours in other works would be hard, too, so really exposure is a major problem aswell.

The UK has been described as the "comics ghetto" by the rest of Europe, so it's not really a suprise that I don't know anybody both independent and famous here. There have been quite a few in America, through, and eastern places like Singapore (since they can sell in Japan). Canada has brilliant hooches like Dan Kim, but even he can't afford to do it for a living. :/

Probally the best way of going to start with is to join an artist's comune like Sweatdrop (which is UK only), just to share their advertising space if nothing else... But yeah, I'm not published either, so take this all with a pinch of salt. *_*
    Last edited by Regantor; 09-03-2011 at 07:21 AM.

What if you use amazon?

Interesting topic. I don't know much but if your cause is to publish work in form of a book, tankobon or magasine that you want to sell there are laws for becoming a publisher, taxes that you must pay, copyrights and many more (consult a lawyer if this is what you want)... (at least in my country). If you are talking about an online publishing (scanlations, etc.) you can even creat your own wedsite and go for it.

The ability to sell things is not the problem; It's making people want to buy it. If having a big $600 stack of comics just sitting around doesn't sound like a problem to you, brain problems you have. *_*

Publishing something in a magazine I admit I know very little about. But you'd have to convince a store to give you shelf space and such anyway, so really going online first is the best bet. You can attract customers from all around the world that way, too, rather than just whoever walks into those particular shops.

One thing that hasn't been discussed; Conventions. Alot of people apparently sell things independently at them, but I've never actually been to one. Has anyone else? Is it worthwhile? :o

I have been in conventions, but are bad.

The Average Otaku (who is the one that most come to this events) have no interest in indie comics. At least in here Conventions are not good, but as a pro, in here the market of comics is so low that you can easily sell comics in a store. But again the problem is that in here almost no one read comics, and who does, read them online. So it a awful business.

That's why I ask about Amazon.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Make use of the whole webcomics thing, that's one surefire way to get your name out there without having the drop cash all over the place. Not to mention you get less exposure if you actually go for the paper published way. So I mean, hook up with sites like Smack Jeeves, Drunken Duck, start a small site for your comic, do something just to get you a boost. You really have to be able to take advantage of the internuts if you wanna get known these days. Especially with comics.
    As for your question, hmm...I only know one self published guy who actually made it, and that's Hyung Min-woo who made Priest. I'm pretty sure he started out using TokyoPop which is basically dead. Actually, I don't even know if he has a team or if that counts as self published.

I know for publishing your work yourself, there are sites that are amazingly helpful. One i know of is ka-blam.com. They handle the printing and shipping, and best part is, the price for that is included in the price of the comic. They even have a guide to help you set a price. They even have a site aside from them that is for selling your book, so that helps as well. The only like, out of pocket expense is you have to pay i think $10 for the book number, which is i think only useable for them, but im not exactly sure you can ask them. But you can make that up with a few books sold. And you only have to pay the $10 for the first book. As in, for example, each Volume of your manga needs a code for THAT volume. You do not have to pay $10 for a number for each printed book, only for each Volume you make.

It's what i plan on using for myself.

Holy crap really? That's awesome! So basically when I start to improve I can sell a few on the side lol.