Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting new markers and other thrills of life.... (HI.)

ROmaji is for crack heads who can learn kana and kanji ^^ just saying :P If you wanna learn hiragana and katakana i have some articles on it on my blog:

http://theroadtojapanese.blogspot.co...2-weeks-e.html

http://theroadtojapanese.blogspot.co...e%20top%20best

http://theroadtojapanese.blogspot.co...-learning.html

Hmmmm... WELL, I suppose I won't be wearing a Hobby Lobby name-tag throughout my college years. MAYBE I CAN WORK AT A COFFEE HOUSE, INSTEAD. (:

Oh, okay! Thank you, Kami.

OH, another question I have is how you can tell the difference between katakana and kanji and the others.

Okay um just one more thing, try not to double post if you can. Just edit your previous post if you have something you want to add.

To answer your question, Kanji is used for most things, like names, places, etc etc. Hiragana is used when you don't know the kanji for something as well as grammatical things. Um and Katakana is for foreign words and names. This is according to my quick research anyway.

Hmm... Last time I made a double post, they merged together... And so I thought....
    Oh. Wait, that was probably the work of a mod. My bad.

Ahhhh, I get it now. Thank you! (:

Hiragana looks more organic and katakana looks robotic. That's how I remember it I guess.

And are they all pretty much interchangable?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by inkwelling View Post
    Hmm... Last time I made a double post, they merged together... And so I thought....
    Oh. Wait, that was probably the work of a mod. My bad.
    Yeah, and if you catch me in a bad mood, I'm gonna introduce you to the ban hamma'.

It's best not to interchange them. Like Hayashia said, they are used specifically for certain things. They way I differentiate between them just by looking is a) kanji tend to be complex, usually made up of several characters all put together b) katakana is very angular and all sharp edges and c) hiragana is more rounded.

Normally, in a sentence, you will find kanji and hiragana being used unless it's a foreign word or something that was purposely written in katakana to give it that foreign feel. For example, sometimes in manga, characters speak in English and as such, you will find the English word written in katakana. Some companies, to make it look cool, will purposely write something that is originally written in hiragana or kanji in katakana. There are a few slight things about usage but that's basically the main difference of usage.

I'M SORRY. I'll be good. I swear.

Okay, that explains a lot. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kamisoyokaze View Post
    ROmaji is for crack heads who can learn kana and kanji
    Surely it's for people who are trying to learn spoken Japanese rather than written Japanese? The two are rather different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.