View Poll Results: How about an area of free RPG on the forum?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I agree.

8 88.89%
  • No, I don't agree.

1 11.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Poll] An exclusive RPG area

Hybrid View

Question [Poll] An exclusive RPG area

Hello o/

I'm opening this thread to know what you think about an RPG area on the forum. A free Role play area without the need of a character sheet, a subforum where we'll open threads representing locations and we'll play on them.

Any doubt just ask me.
    Last edited by Tanatos; 12-31-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    It could be fun, but what would the rules be? Cause I see this area becoming really retarded really fast.

Game rules are simple: Just act as the thread says, if it's a forest, act as you were in a forest, describe the location where you are and all the stuff. But the diference is that it's completely free, so if you want to climb a tree just go ahead and do it, there is no need to know if you are strong enought to do it like in the traditional RPG. The possibilities are enormous, you can play with other persons create your own campaing, fight with other players. Depends on what the users want to do. If it look like a town you can open a business, a dojo, a magic library. As I said, there will be a lot of possibilities. And in a near future (if we have enough people posting) we can open a global campaing (this one with a character sheet) involving all threads.
    The main rule is on the thread creation, to avoid two equal locations I.e. "Miami beach" & "Las vegas beach" they are both beaches, so just one is enough.
    Last edited by Tanatos; 12-31-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Teen Member
    RPG area? Sounds like a good idea
    that's really remind me to a destroyed forum which i ever joined there as a member (and as a few-days-moderator XDD)
    They also had RPG Area few weeks before that forum destroyed
    But no one ever post there until the Vice-Admin humiliate that forum just because a little stupid thing
    If i can give an idea for the area, i really want a dorm
    Last edited by dbc; 12-31-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Princess of Default Victories pajamajam's Avatar
    This is where I think it would start being dumb. Being able to do whatever you want means threads will be ruined really quick. All it takes is one dumb kids going into say, a bar thread and saying "I break out my AK-47 and gun everyone the hell down." Either everyone ignores the kids and they get mad ("I thought I could do whatever I wanted!") or everyone in the pub dies. Real rules and limitations have to be set, or the stupid people out there will ruin everything for everyone else. Then you have the kids who make pointless threads, like "I'm in a forest, wanting to be alone, will shoot anyone I come across." There's no interaction with other people, so it's just one person who could have just written a story multi-posting in one ridiculous thread.

For the most part, I think it's a cool idea, though.

@Dbc

I'm glad you like the idea, your help is welcome ;D

@Pajamajam

You got a point, too much freedom maybe dangerous into a kid hands. Well, we can improve the rules if we need to, for example "Inadequated interpretation may be ignored by other players". And we have to hope that people have sense about what they are doing.

hm... Interesting idea. But yeah, I would have to agree with pajamajam. And without a certain conflict things would get a bit out of hand and confusing.

Well, the staff may give us a hand watching over people messing or creating events to increase the areas movement, I don't see any major trouble ahead, any that we can't handle =]
    Last edited by Tanatos; 01-01-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Okay. so are we assigned any beginning?

If you don't have a fixed setting, or rules of any kind, this will fail.

My advice would be to have a GM to organise stuff. Sandbox RPGs really don't work without them. People will just run out of things to do/get bored.

Also, if there is no sense of progression or reward, then there is really no incentive to play. For most people anyway.

Of course, to GM such a thing would take a whole lot of work. Maybe you could take turns?