Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If currency magically became irrelevant

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Exactly. That's why people think some gas giants and other such planets may have diamond cores - the pressure and all that jazz.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

We should send Paris Hilton to there, so everyone win.

If money did magically become irrelevant, this owuld most certainly mean the colapse of civilization. But in time, someone would bring some kind of currencies back into play & ultimately this one these would become the standard. I mean...like the above posts mention...humanity has been taught to percive gold as a valuable commodity & we have based our world moneys on this basis. I'm sure we'd find something else stupid and ridiculously materialistic to put worth in. Even it took a hundred years or more.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Well, we don't just have money because we're stupid and materialistic. Though I agree that we're stupid and materialistic, that's not why currency is valuable to us. Currency is not worth more than its purpose, which is a common vehicle for trading goods that is far more precise and manageable than bartering. Money itself is worthless, of course.

Wouldn't subcultures/societies that used human labor itself as currency thrive more? Wait no, maybe not. I'm not sure. The masters would have to instill so much fear into the slaves that they would never revolt, and/or trick them into believing that working to serve a master = freedom. (coughnotlikethatdoesnthappenalreadycough)

Same could go with prostitution, but I seriously have no idea where I'm going with that. Since there's no currency involved, would the aristocrats of the world be the ones who are the best at sex? Or are pimping out the highest quality prostitutes? Would the value change from being the money recieved FOR sex into the quality of the sex itself?

I mean, c'mon.... thats the only thing humans have a pathological compulsion for besides money.

We'd just be back to trading food for clothes and stuff. Plus we'd have a shitton of useless metal and paper. So I'd just build a fort out of coins, defend it with coinguns, and use the paper to make a fire.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I'm jumping on the boat with Rei and selling lolis to Japanese businessmen.

Don't be ridiculous, send them to ClockHand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Well, we don't just have money because we're stupid and materialistic. Though I agree that we're stupid and materialistic, that's not why currency is valuable to us. Currency is not worth more than its purpose, which is a common vehicle for trading goods that is far more precise and manageable than bartering. Money itself is worthless, of course.
    That's my point to why we'd eventually get back to using some kind of currency. Because it is a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Don't be ridiculous, send them to ClockHand...
    You want to kill me?