Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (nudity) gut feeling says I'll regret this

On the first: Her torso/upper body is extremely short. The breast are different sizes. The shoulder on the right is narrower than the other. The bulge on the hip doesn't make much sense. The tail is kinda stiff. Her neck angles inward on the left making it look really odd. The thighs are pretty straight lines, trying curving them some to match the rest of the body.

First Headshot: The chin is much too pointy! The eyes should be the same height. The ear is connected too close to the eye. The bottom lip being flat looks kind weird, as well as the sharp point in the bottom of the top lip. The way the left side of the face angles out as it goes up making the head a strange strange; try straightening it up more. The houlders are VERY narrow.

Second Headshot: The armpits should NOT be that high; nor should the cleavage. The eyes should be the same size in height and at the same height on the face. The nose looks strange with the hard angles on one side and curves on the other. The neck angles inward oddly on the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

think i rember not wanting, maybe even promising to not make these sorts of empty posts...
    @JJJorgie
    First, would just like to point out this is the kind of post i was looking for, short simple, too the point whats wrong and not working. only thing i could ask for more is some expansion on a few things said that are vague or advice on how to fix certain problems.

which makes a nice segue into the other thing i wanted to say. specifically a clarification on something you said, specifically what you said about the bottom lip looking weird by being flat, this is kind of vague and since that was actually an intentional design decision (well sort of looking at the inked lines compared to the original drawing i unintentionally changed and often borked up some of the lines in inking e.g the chin is meant to be pointed but the inked line for the right side of her chin is not in line with the original sketch which is likely causing to look so pointed.) i was just wondering what exactly you meant, why does it look weird?
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...

As far as the lip problem that JJ pointed out, I would argue it's because despite being a stylization it doesn't really make much anatomical sense. I struggle to relate to it as to what it is supposed to be representing. (If that makes any sense) The bottom of the lip however isn't the part that bugs me however, as it still somewhat represents what you are going for, it's the upper lip in this case that are what I feel need alteration. See the reference below;

SPOILER! :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tcWyoolHNu...pecial+3.4.png

(If link/s don't work just google)

You have completely avoided adding the cupids bow of the upper lip and it hasn't been described via shading. My issue with this is that the structure along with the philtral columns are actually rather important in human vocalization. Simple anatomy of the lips;

SPOILER! :

http://0.tqn.com/d/plasticsurgery/1/...malAnatomy.jpg

Anyway, the only other thing that I saw worth mentioning is the nose. You have the wings of the nose actually dropping further down the face than the attachment point of the ball of the nose. On an actual human face the wings join to the face slightly above the ball's joining point. A nose reference in case that didn't make sense;

SPOILER! :

http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/...Nose-Job-2.jpg

Apologies for the large images.
    Last edited by Demonfyre; 04-12-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Anyway, the only other thing that I saw worth mentioning is the nose. You have the wings of the nose actually dropping further down the face than the attachment point of the ball of the nose. On an actual human face the wings join to the face slightly above the ball's joining point. A nose reference in case that didn't make sense.
    ^This!! I was going to commented on this problem, but I couldn't find the words to describe it. Thanks, Demon!!

And, as for the lips and pointy chin being weird, I meant that they look awkward. Honestly, she looks like she could kill someone with that chin. Rounding the chin just slightly and adding a slight curve to the lips would ake the overall picture look so much better and not so "amatuer-y" (remember that anime style still has anatomical correctness that should be followed, even if it's being simplified)

first thing first, as i mentioned before in the attempt at inking some of the lines were unintentionally changed which may be causing some of the problems (the chin and the angling out of the left side of the face) though a few are there in the original drawing (the ear and nose, though the nose wing issue is less prominent in the pencil drawing) so i'd actually like your take on the orignal drawing (i put a link earlier but it's kind of hidden)

it's the bottom drawing, top was just me forgetting what the character's face is supposed to look like
    SPOILER! :

also lazily slapped together overlay of the line art over the original drawing too
    SPOILER! :

ok that said
    @Demonfyre
    the upper lip is again intentional, to make a long story short the character's design is supposed to be clearly but avoiding prominent femininity. the lips a perfect example of this, they are intentionally pronounced to provided more femaleness (for lack of a real word) but for example the bottom lip is meant to be slightly squarish (more rigid squarish shapes tend to be more masculine if i'm not mistaken) though it's still supposed still have some curvature (for some reason the inked drawing seems to lose some/alot of this and i can't figure why as the lines on that seem to line up perfectly) however whenever i drew a noticeable cupids bow it just looked too feminine to match the design idea so i basically lifted an idea form the art style of Kim Possible with how they do the upper lips on female characters, which looked good (to me at least) though i think i might have some ideas what i was doing that made the detailed cupids bow look so feminine before so i have an idea to try out next time.

also thanks for the heads up on the nose thing, did not know that, though looking at older drawings i seemed to follow that guideline (well ish more so that the bottom of the wings tends to be just barely above/in line with the bottom of the ball from the front after looking at noses for a bit.) so i may have just botched it on this drawing.
    I have no problem with you spanking me. However, I have a huge problem with you not spanking me...

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    I love the way you draw noses. But I think the farthest from us eye is smaller than the nearest. And not just in a foreshortened sense.

-Scarlet
    "The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real."

-Victor Hugo

A year later and i'm posting here again, then again you guys tend to provide insight and opinions,something which i cannot say for the other places i post my stuff in the annals of the internet. so if seeking opinions i am then post here i should.

1. Zelda pinup (4-5 months old?)
    SPOILER! :

A coworker asked if i could do a pinup of princess Zelda. this was the attempt at just that, thought it might be fun to try a pinup with the character wearing a full length dress and OoT/TP style Zelda 's attire fit the bill

2. NM Bust (3-4 months old) (NSFW)
    SPOILER! :

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps96b01f6c.png

hidden behind a link due to nudity and visible nipples.

Anyways, pretty sure you're familiar with NM (Nyuujou Megami) by now what with how often she has appeared in this thread. This was an attempt to do a fully digital drawing as well as try some stuff with drawing NM (mostly with he nose and lips) i really like how this turned out (well maybe not the nipples...) but really want some opinions on this. largely relating to the coloring and the eyes (particularly their height, as at once i like how it looks but also seems like they might be a bit high)

3. cat people face (2-3 monhs old)
    SPOILER! :

An idea for a story idea (read: world i've put a lot of thought into but don't have a clue what to do with narrative wise) one of the races in this world is a sort of hominid (bipedal, intelligent, etc) race based largely on cats but with a little canine influence. one of things i wanted with the half animal races in this world is to try and have something that feels like a natural evolution of the animal in question. this was my attempt to apply that to cat face/skull structure ( cats have weird lips and surprisingly flat faces) curious how people think it went to that end.

known problems, nose is off center in front facing view
    eyes on 3/4 view just seem really off

3. MFGSA Danny face test (2-3 months old)
    SPOILER! :

(MFGSA stands for Mystic Fighter: Generic Shounen Action, a sort of played straight parody of super power martial arts manga i toy with the idea of from time to time)

This is a test for the facile design of a character from a story idea i toy with from time to time, he's one of the main characters and he's kind of a joke character though i've always thought of him as a sort of " What if Dan Hibiki (street Fighter) were a top tier character while still begin an unrepentant goofball. there are a few elements of Dan Hibiki referenced in this design actually.

3. NM and Amanda Turn around ( hot off the presses) (NSFW)
    SPOILER! :

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps62e51ebd.jpg

hidden behind a link due to nudity, barbie doll style nudity but whatever.

Anyways started as another test of trying to draw NM's chubbier physique, Amanda was added as a kind of an after-thought ( and it shows especially the frontal view of her.) when i realized NM was only taking half of the page on her own. curious what people think especial on NM ( also just realized i forgot to draw the tip of NM's Tail). oh and also if anyone is curios the text by NM is Nyuujou Megami/Milky Goddess while the next next to Amanda is 'Manda.

3. NM and Amanda faces
    SPOILER! :

I swear i draw stuff besides these two... occasionally.

Anyways trying to nail down the style i used in the NM Bust drawing up above as i really do like how it looks. stil have some small doubts on the eye height though. anyways figured i would try and adapt Amanda to that style as she is probably one of my oldest character ideas (i think it's been over 10 years since i came up with here, or at least the original idea that developed into her)

also i a aware Amanda's left eye is a little off ( angled too much it seems like)

Honestly haven't been drawing much, then again i've always had problems just sitting down and drawing, and there are very few opportunity to draw while doing something else in my life, so it's not like that's all that different. Anywho, this is about the only thing i've really done recently of any substance and wanted some outside insght if possible

DA FAces (hot off the presses)
    SPOILER! :

So Similar to something i did earlier in the thread using the medium of Dragon Age (Origins and 2)'s character creator was trying out different facial proportions and styles. despite some obvious flaws (most notably the eyes not being in line on the bottom pictures) rather like how they turned out but curious for second opinions. also arbitrary detail, but the guy at the top of image two does not have eyebrows his tattoos just make it look like he does

I've noticed that all your eyes are pretty high up the head. Remember, eye-level is halfway down. Also, your mouths seems to always be a little low. Since you seem to be going for a slightly realistic style, I think you should detail the ears more. Try finding facial references to help you with your placement and shaping more