Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Why did you start drawing manga?

Tween Member
    I read the first chapter of bakuman in sj. It super inspired me.

i think the reason i started was because i always thought drawing manga stuff was pretty damn hard, which it is. But i remember back in the day a LOOOOONNNGGGG time ago, i saw my brother draw a simple character and i thought: "dude, if my brother can do this, then im pretty sure i can as well!"
    so that was the start back in like 5th grade of me drawing "manga". and that is the epic tale of how i started drawing manga.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    ive drawn most of my life but it was all realism and cartoony stuff. i had seen the "how to draw manga" books in the library and in the art book section of barnes an noble but never understood what it ment (and tbh the artwork wasnt very impressive to pull me in). so one day i googled it and realized that i had at least seen a manga once in grade school (it was DBZ and i was baffled at the time because a popular girl was reading a comic book that wasnt a comic book) and then google images made my eyes pop out of my head and i had to try my hand at it. So when i was like 15 or 16 i started to draw it and not long after that i joined MT. My early drawings all inexplicably had mullets and breast the size of dinner plates.

I drew manga because I had a sweet idea for a comic book and I wanted to see it come into fruition. Now I draw storyboards instead for my animations.

Jealousy.

i was so jealous of people who could draw good. i wanted to draw anime 2, and manga xD i wanted to move people with my own drawing ideas story... i wanted to do it... and i had like no talents at all so i decided i wanted to draw and develop a talent for it since talent = hard work

Oh wait I think I started drawing comics after I read an issue of DBZ my dad bought for me. I do remember making money off of my comics in 4th grade... Ah, good times.

I start after a magical coffee cup told me to.

@Byakuran - Come to think of it, jealousy might have played a part for me as well. Back in sixth grade, there was this girl who drew manga, and she was, like, at the level I'm at now when she was that age. Someone took one of her posters for a project and said, "Hey, look at Matt's stick people compared to this!"

That was a little maddening, but I didn't start drawing seriously till a year or two later. I wish I would have started sooner.

By the way, I had--and have--no talent at all. I just worked at it for a long time, though I still don't practice near as much as I should.

My junior school had links with a Japanese school and a Japanese club, which I attended, so that got me interested in Japanese stuff in general. I guess that was how I discovered that anime/manga apart from Pokemon existed, and soon enough I wanted to draw my own because it looked pretty cool. My best friend had the same idea and it sort of went on from there. We went through this huge manga drawing phase as preteens but eventually the interest died away and now we both don't draw it anymore.

However, I'm planning on changing that now, as some of my other friends have recently discovered manga and started to draw it. I don't want them to overtake me lol.

I'm happy to see that this thread is alive...^_^ thanks for giving your reasons