Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you start drawing manga?

Probably after I started watching a lot of anime. The influence was profound, and I wanted to absorb the style into my mind and keep it there forever.
    ~ BACK WITH THE TRACKMASTERS ~

I started drawing the style when I was around 8, when my family moved to a new house and my older brother started watching shows like Naruto, Scrapped Princess, FMA, and Last Exile online. It wasn't for probably three years that my family got a decent computer and I found manga online. At first it was a means to an end, since I initially wanted to create an anime and saw manga as the only way to do it. Then, I fell in love with manga itself =)

I feel like I've repeated it a billion times, though I LOVE repeating it, for some odd reason. Back when I was about two or so, I watched my parents write down things with pens, and I never picked one up before. So, one day, I grabbed a fair amount of paper from my dad's printer, and found a pen. I sat down in front of a table, took the cap off of the pen, and stood there, almost unsure of what to do. I turned my attention to the television, and wouldn't you know it, my childhood's favorite show was on - Pokemon. I always had a tendency to get excited over everything when I was young, so you can imagine how happy I got when I saw my favorite show on. I watched and tried to mimic the art, and I failed miserably. However, I was a child, and like most children, I just drew scribbled-like beings - however there was one huge difference between my art and other children the same age as me: while they were just scribbling, I was trying to copy an image in my head. As I grew older, this difference showed, and I couldn't feel relieved without drawing out the image inside my head. This proved to guide me. When I was around the third grade, everyone said I had a knack for this, and that I drew really good. I took this really well, and by the end of the third grade, I decided to make a packed schedule for next year. I spent the following summer drawing to my heart's content, and realized the images inside my head would fade from time to time, so I had to draw them out, so I wouldn't lose them. For the entire fourth grade, I'd use every, and I mean EVERY spare second to draw manga - and by the end of the year, my art improved critically. I slowed this down in the fifth grade, getting really lazy and only drawing when I was bored. During the entire duration of the sixth grade, I'd read manga and follow tutorials, so that I could find new points of view toward manga, rather than just drawing them out and leaving it full of flaws. Ever since I entered the seventh grade, I got really depressed, and I drew to comfort myself. This became an incredible experience - I would draw what I knew I couldn't, just so I could see what I did wrong and why. At the very same time, I'd improve what I already mastered...

Writing manga is a whole different story. I started writing manga at around age 5. I wanted to be a manga-ka since then, and I decided to take whatever I liked from each manga and mash them up, add my own twist, and make it appealing to kids. Ever since then, I would come up with various ideas and express them into plots. After I won a few awards in literature in my school, I loved to write. I wanted to write for every single genre of books available, but most of all, Jump. I'd spend every day in literature class concocting plots, characters, villains, and shocking twists to add to manga. So since then, I've really just been at it...

Between the first circle of the Inferno & DisneyLand
    I started to draw when I was around 3 (mainly my own DBZ character) and stopped at 11, due to the death of my mother, I then started to think what to do with my life ,so like a half-year latter I started to draw again and I haven't stopped since...

The Anime/Manga series that inspire me are mainly:

-DragonBall Z
    -DevilMan
    -Battle Angel Alita
    -Elfed Lied
    -MazinKaiser
    -FullMetal Alchemist
    -Mobile Fighter G Gundam
    -Escaflowne
    -Akira
    -Shin Getter Robo

DBZ. It's most people's reason for it, tbh. I thought the mad powers and the ridiculously sized muscles were hilarious so I thought "maybe I should try that". Also, Pokemon. Back before I knew it was an Anime as well.

Between the first circle of the Inferno & DisneyLand
    I didn't know what anime was until I was 12
    Say, can you hear that? It's the sound of the reaper... - Magus

I started drawing manga when i was about 17, mainly because i tought manga and anime was pretty bad-ass (DBZ, Gundam Wing, and all the other awesome animes wich where aired on dutch television).
    My parents actually encouraged me to draw manga, alltough i did get questions like: "why are those boobs so big? are you sure her spine won't break in two by those knockers?" "do you HAVE to draw a gun/sword in every picture?" and my personal favorite: "why did you give that boy boobs?"

anyway, i don't feel like reffering my art as "manga".
    I mean, the word manga is actually Japanese for comics (alltough it first meant inappropriate picture)
    allthough my art is mainly influenced by manga and such.

Ehh I was learning from a (pretty crappy, actually) tutorial on how to draw Link, from Legend Of Zelda, and it said something about 'Manga Eyes'.
    Googled manga, examples were Pokémon and DBZ.
    I was all 'Hell Yeah'.

i was bored one day and i watched this anime show, i forgot what it was called. so i just took a paper and pencil and randomly started drawing the charecters. then i realized this was pretty cool. so now im stuck(some what obsesed with it) )))))))

well i always loved dbz and my a friend of mine showed me shone jump and i loved the art and there and i wanted to learn to do it