Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kamisoyokaze's art up for critique.

Hybrid View

Kamisoyokaze's art up for critique.

Hello I'm new to drawing manga (started three days ago, well I have done them in the past but not seriously more like crappy doodles in my books at school:P) and I'm not very good, so please excuse me!

This is a drawing that I copied to start getting a feeling for manga, especially on this, please can you tell me whats wrong with my line work, I feel as if it's pretty bad, but I'm not really sure what to do about it.

The next three are all originals, so please give me the full story with these!

This was before I got my proper inking pen, so the lines are uniform, here i was practicing trying to draw someone in a running pose.

This is one that I'm drawing for my friend :P I am in the process of colouring it, I'll post the finished version when I'm done as I'm sure my colouring will be the definition of the word fail.

EDIT: I coloured on of the drawings above

EDIT: 2 more drawings

Coloured on of the previous drawings:

Thanks in advance for any comments you make.

PS. I dislike how it highlights the words colour, colouring ect. wrong :P 'cause I'm spelling them right, you silly Americans
    Last edited by kamisoyokaze; 08-31-2011 at 09:14 AM.

I think the first picture was your best, Kami. Also welcome to MT.

If you want your drawings to look better you have to have a combination of two things: (1) Good knowledge on what things are supposed to look like and (2) good hand-eye coordination to put it down. To improve your first point, I suggest studying perspective and doing gesture work to improve how you see things. Memorizing proportions would also be good since placement of features is really, really key in manga. Learn what foreshortening means and how that should affect the face proportions you draw.

To improve the second point, draw lots! Best of luck to your art.

Edit: Some books you might want to read, if you want to improve:

SPOILER! :

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis (easy proportion reference)
    Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life (learn how to think of figures in 3D)
    Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson (best art foundations here. also tons of exercises)
    Perspective without Pain by Phil Metzger (explains perspective very well)
    Last edited by Hamachi; 08-27-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks ^^ I'll take a look into these points, proportions is something i've been trying to get a grips with already, obviously I'm not there yet but i believe I've improved

Please guys give me more critique i really want to improve ^^

Ok so i think that mainly you need to practice proportions first! It seems that you get the whole idea of shapes and whats behind and in front. BUT i think that it could be a lot better if you do some work on your proportions of the human body. here we go:
    1 pic- As Hamachi said, the best one. Im assuming that you used some poster as a reference. Hands too small and the lower lip is going outwards (it would make a kick-ass under bite but i presume you don't want that).
    2 pic- Too much of a squeezed face. I think that you did the eyes first and later figured that there is no space for the nose. The fingers are too round. Now thats perfectly fine but when you overdo it it doesn't look right. Fingers are made of 3 bones that conect on the joints. So next time first try to draw 3 little lines that are connected with circles.
    3 pic- is fine but again proportions. The left(her right) arm is too long. At least the upper part of the arm. The (upper part of the) arm's elbows should reach about to your waist so use that next time you draw someone. Neck too wide. And with such a wide jaw you give off an impression that the head is much bigger then it is.
    4 urm 5 pic- One arm is bigger then the other. And i think that the head is too big, but i get a feeling that you tried to make look that the head was closer to us then the rest of the body. In that case shading would really help out.
    6 pic- second decent one. Although again with the round fingers, and the jaw is again too wide.

Well thats all hope it helps in any way. Another month or so and you'll be really good. Your actually decent now but you need to fix the proportions problem and your set!!!
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
    -Snip-
    Well thats all hope it helps in any way. Another month or so and you'll be really good. Your actually decent now but you need to fix the proportions problem and your set!!!
    ^^ Thank this was just what i needed, some good detailed C&C + a bit of an ego massage to keep me motivated :P But seriously thanks for the in depth C&C you gave me I'll spend some time studying proportions ^^

first I'd like you to atleast understand the basic character height.
    character height are measure through the head, well that only works if your character designing and stuffs.
    I'll tell you how to measure them in pose later on, if you managed to master this first
    I won't give you too much pointer at a single shot, cause I know people get bored easily practicing to many topics at the same time.

teenage girl about 15-20 years old
    SPOILER! :

10-14 years old
    SPOILER! :

5-9 years old
    SPOILER! :

2-4 years old
    SPOILER! :

top view
    SPOILER! :

bottom view
    SPOILER! :

though there are people who make 6 heads tall even for kids like touhou who just make the head big for grown ups and small for kids.

anyway girls and guys isn't that different from this topic. the only difference is that the guy usually has a much longer head and just have much wider torso.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    first I'd like you to atleast understand the basic character height.
    character height are measure through the head, well that only works if your character designing and stuffs.
    I'll tell you how to measure them in pose later on, if you managed to master this first
    I won't give you too much pointer at a single shot, cause I know people get bored easily practicing to many topics at the same time.
    -snip-
    Thanks! This will again, be a big help ^^ I'll get to practicing that now :P

EDIT, It doeuble posted the same post ._. anyway if this post can be deleted that would be good.

I was working on proportions, obviously i got one proportions wrong xD but what about the rest?