Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Testing

Animal Testing

Alot of lies and exaggerations are told on both sides of the argument regarding animal testing. It certianly is a controversal issue. Now before we start, if someone is in favour of animal testing, and you are not, that does not immediately mean they jerk off to images of a slaughter house, and prefer lamb to mutton because they enjoy the idea of a baby animal dieing in the process. In short, keep it civil and don't be silly.

Before I give my 2 cents, I'd like to open the floor with your opinions on the matter.

What do y'all think about cosmetic products and medicines being tested on animals?

I don't care. It's pretty mislead to feel empathy for animals, and the only reason I can see anyone doing so is because they anthropomorphise them, which is insane.

In addition, there are bigger and more important things to worry about than how we treat animals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    In addition, there are bigger and more important things to worry about than how we treat animals.
    O Rly???

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Depending on what kind of cosmetics we're talking about. The suffering of another living being in exchange for something as frivolous as fashion is a bad compromise. But as far as medicines, I think it's necessary, mostly because it would defeat the purpose of medicine to put hundreds of peoples' lives at risk in attempt to save hundreds of peoples' lives.

Fenn
    I'm torn. Although I highly doubt that animals have nearly as complex emotions and feeling as humans, I can't help but wonder if there are unforseen consequences of taking animal testing too far. In fact, I feel this way about anything related to human treatment of the natural world.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    I'm torn. Although I highly doubt that animals have nearly as complex emotions and feeling as humans.
    Emotions, no, but feelings yes. Sensations can be appreciated differently based on how complex one's brain is, but they're all essentially the same. That because sensation is not interpreted, simply quantified by how many nerves are stimulated at once. So pain is universal, really. And pain hurts. =[

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Every time I hear animals testing cosmetics I think of a chimp with blush and lipstick on. I dont know exactly what they are doing to them as far as testing cosmetics out on them goes so I dont know what I feel about it. Medicines Im ok with. I remember a science teacher of mine telling us that lab mice are only used because their dna is the closest to a humans and they are basically in abundance and using them is not hurting the population of them.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I'm opposed to testing frivolous and unnecessary products like cosmetics on animals, but I absolutely support the (humanely conducted) testing of medicines and treatments on animals. While animals can and do feel pain, and probably even fear, their ability to experience these sensations pales in comparison to our ability to feel them. As callous as it may sound, a human life is simply worth more than the life of any animal besides maybe a dolphin.

I think the real issues with animal rights are zoos and revolting places like sea world. Some animals can be cared for well in captivity, yes, but the more intelligent and social animals like ceteceans, elephants, and the higher primates? Not so much. They have social needs that cannot be satiated in captivity.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Every time I hear animals testing cosmetics I think of a chimp with blush and lipstick on.
    this, lol.
    Like everyone else, I'm for testing with medicine and against testing for makeup and shit (like wat?). I mean, we can't use humans for testing medicine that may possibly kill them. We value their life more, which is why we are making medicine in the first place.

But I've a question, are the mice/other animals bred just for testing or are they caught?

Also, Idunno if this is too off topic, (if it is, sorry HoS D: ), but what is your guys' opinions on stuff like slaughterhouses, farms (cows/chickens for milk and eggs), and all of that stuff? I'm not sure what my opinion is, other than "animals make some pretty yummy food, and man has always used them for food, and I don't think we'll ever stop, so sorry vegans/vegetarians."

To be honest, I haven't really researched the topic a great deal. So other than the animals are people too argument, I don't know why people are against eating meat/eggs/milk/cheese?

Animals don't feel pain from us any differently. They are just far less expressive about it because...well...they're just not as sophisticated as us. But human lives are definitely worth more simply because of our potential to contribute to society.

And mice may be bred or ordered from a breeder for testing, because for results to remain consistent, it has to be very controlled; even down to the genetic level. And the reason rights activists don't have issues with milk or cheese is because they're byproducts, and don't require killing the animal. In fact, animals who create these byproducts are actually maintained particularly well to ensure the best produce. And hen eggs--the kinds you get at stores--are not fertilized so you will not have killed an unborn chicken by eating one. If they were fertilized, there would be visible embryos in all of them.