Thread: manga panels

manga panels

I've read some tutorials here. but not all of them,

so i need to know how to do manga panels correctly,

there are some manga panels that i usually see that goes over to the right while the left side of it is just a fine and just align correctly.

I know this is a scan but still...
    do i have to know the layout of the book or something to do this kind of paneling?
    I've read the all about manga paper tutorial and some other paneling tutorials but it's not there.

So i'm kinda guessing that it's different if it's left to right and if it's right to left.

where do i get this type of info or where i can learn this?
    or you can just comment me here to tell me some advice.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Have you ever printed out something to make it into a book? If you just put the text or image in the middle of the page, once you bind the middle of the book, some of the text will be too close to the spine when you open it. To combat this, what they do in publishing is to move the text either more to the left or more to the right depending if it's an even or odd-numbered page. This way, when the reader opens the book, the text/image is aligned properly and is correctly centered. This is something that manga artists should be aware of but I haven't talked about yet in an article or anything like that.

You should read some how to publish a book literature - not where it talks about writing, but the one's that talk about physically making a book. It's quite enlightening. Also, some PDFs have their text already aligned for publishing - the text is either more to the left or more to the right. Do some experiments and make some mini manga's. It's pretty fun to put together your own "book".

most of us are making a manga already so people really need this type of info, I guess I need to look into some publishing books..

but really now we need a tutorial for this one, and people are just making manga pages without being aware of this type of thing, I'll make a tutorial for this if i found out how to do it.

[UPDATE]
    wait so I just have to be aware when it's being publish right? how about netbooks?
    is it okay to draw something like this that's ready to publish? I'm planning to do some manga like this and i kinda have the idea of how to do it correctly...
    Last edited by ram; 08-23-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    You can do whatever you want if you're just publishing online but if you plan to publish it physically in the future, you're better off just shifting everything now like it will be published so you don't have to do it later. I'll consider making a tutorial about it. It'll have to wait after SaiMoe though.

okay just one last question. is there a manga that's read from right to left but it's not read form the back page?

I dont think so.
    There is a selfpublisher's website called lulu.com check it out.
    When I plan out my panels basically I think of this way.

• This chapter is telling part of the story, therefore the page must tell a story too.
    • Whats happening in this page?
    • If the event/motion is big the panels are big.
    • No tangents with your panels. No more than 5-7 panels, its hard to fit more than that anyway.
    • Try and do sketches on paper too, so you can have a general idea of what it will look like.
    • Plan out your pages 2 at a time, so you can see what works and what doesn't.
    • Print a page or two so you can see how it works.

Also, someone online has some great tips with paneling, her tutorials are quite simple here is the link
    http://kinnohitsuji.deviantart.com/g...73005#_1473005

Thanks so much slurpee