Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Sylux's Art Thread: NOT SAFE FOR THE WORKS PLACES

I'm not sure if this is something of that much concern to you, but I would say that the eyes aren't symmetrical. If you look, the left eye's edge close to the ear is much further up than the eye on the right. Since the face is almost straight on, I would imagine from observation of my own face, that the edge of the eye would probably be seen as if it were on a line. Please let me know if i'm not making sense.

You're making perfect sense! Yes, I have an awful terrible issue with symmetry, but I was unaware it was so prevalent. Thank you so much for pointing it out! I'm trying out different power vfx for the game here, though honestly I think the Ki Barrier looks pretty unconvincing and the Cybershield looks pretty weak and unprotective @_@ Hopefully I'll have some better stuff up soonish

Very welcome

I think when it's coming down to the designs of these barriers you don't think are convincing, you need to go back to your core principles of design. If you are really serious, before starting out on more designs; set up a mind map of the ideas and practicalities of the shields. I assume that you want one to be heavy and provide a lot of protection, yet you also want to look futuristic since it seems to be made of energy. If you follow through that procedure the design should be easier to tease out the details you are wanting, since you have to think it over and put it down on paper. Once that is done set up like ten boxes and draw all your ideas into them focusing only on the design of interest (not forgetting to keep the mind map from earlier as reference), from those ten 'poor' designs you should be able to select things you like in the design whilst also retaining plausibility and a grounding of 'reality' as far as a energy shield is concerned.

If you are already using/aware of this stuff, please ignore this :3 but if you aren't I hope this is helpful for your game designs. There are some good FZDschool videos on this kinda stuff, I think it would be worth your while checking them out if you are considering designing for your game.

Oh man, thanks so much! I've been on a real creative kick here. I've just been sketching out stuff and redesigning old creations, and I think I'm really coming along. I've tried to apply cool to warm lighting with my concepts, like Orokan and the helmet. I think that my designs convey the message okay, but I feel like there are some elements I'm really missing but I'm not sure if I have to skill to do them yet.

I'm really not too great with furturistic armor, sorry. But, I did notice that on your second picture, my eyes bounce back and forth between the figure and the oval-ish form. There's not a true focal point, so it's not as pleasing to the eye. I know it's just a sketch and all, but if you continue working on it, maybe consider making either one of the forms the main focal point, either by color or light/darkness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

I like the design of the helmet, but I find the first two images quite hard to read. Maybe it's just my monitor setting, but I find it difficult to pick out the shapes against the dark background.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    have you ever tried doing these in full opacity? dark gray background + half opacity black makes it really unreadable.

ohhh those helmet concepts look pretty sweet!! you might want to add some strokes with a harder brush/opacity though since it is a tad blurry. adding a bit more contrast might also be something nice to do :3 i really like the design, it's very well detailed and really nice ^^

i don't have that much to say on the other drawings, for they are still quite rough and i guess they are more sketches than drawings which you are going to finish? (tell me if i'm wrong :3 ) as already has been said by gaff, the second two drawings are hard to read. some more foreground/background contrast might make it a bit easier to recognise the shapes :3 and yaaay sparkles!!

Oh wowee! I'm getting so much feedback! This is a dream come true guys, really. I recognize that the contrast on the images isn't stark enough. Perhaps I should take Cype's and Cllesthe's advice and work in higher opacities with hard brushes? It seems I really did go low-opacity crazy. Maybe I should try a simple texture brush? I've never used one of those and I wonder how it could work for my drawings. I'm probably not going to finish any of them, but I will take what I have learned from your critiques and apply them to similar pieces in the future. Anyway, I digress.

Trying 3D again help :cat_shock :

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    that's a nice zoidberg. I don't think the issue here is sculpting skill so much that you're not using a process to create the monster in your mind. People who do like really amazing sculpts in 30 mins do so because they've already used their general knowledge to compile a concept of the monster in their mind. They know what the skeleton looks like, how its muscles work, how it walks, how it eats, etc. If you're getting into concept art, get into the habit of creating a creature from scratch, and get out of the mentality of just designing its appearance, otherwise you get stuck.

Just some mental pointers.