Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788 LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

Continuing my attempt to make inroads into Gundam, War in the Pocket was an unexpected delight. Completely and utterly removed from the typical formula though.
    Last edited by Gaff; 07-28-2014 at 07:32 PM.

Gandamuuuu~

I forget. Did you watch the Gundam trilogy already?

The weirdest thing about war in the pocket is the whole child main character thing, really. It's like the whole "flying giant robots and having people rely on you would actually suck" thing Eva did, but actually subtle.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    I still have to see that one.
    And Zeta @_@

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Zeta IMO is just one of those weird series where all of the minor plot points and events are cool, but the major ones are completely FUBAR. Kamile's entire introduction and motivations are all over the place, and Captian Quattro? Well, he is a CHAR :o

I still have not seen ZZ.

Did watch the first compilation movie for MSG a year or two back, but to be honest, I struggled to get through it. Outside of Char doing Char things and Amuro getting Bright-slapped, I found it pretty dry.

Zeta, I really wanted to get into, as it used to be the one everyone rated, but I had similar problems with it too. And also with Kamille being a colossal brat.

I liked how they played the story in War in the Pocket though, it starts out like an old fashioned boys' wartime adventure story, with the main character latching on to the Zeon spies, then it pulls the rug out and reminds you that, if such a thing actually happened, it would probably end quite horribly for all involved.

Man that ending...

Where should I start if I want to get into Votoms

If you've got the patience for it, the original tv series is probably your best bet. I feel it has some pacing problems, but it's no worse than what you might expect from a shonen fighting show these days.

If you're on the fence about whether you want to watch the show or not, the prequel Roots of Ambition oav packs everything good about the series into an hour, but it does have a significant spoiler about the protagonist's origins that doesn't really come into play until much later on in the main show. Personally, I don't think it's a deal-breaker that would ruin the series for you, but it's something to be aware of.

Hopefully Regantor will have an opinion on this...

Haelo huemans.

Yes. I recommend the OVAs and Mellowlink first. Honestly the spoilers are kinda obvious now if you've seen any sci-fi movies ever, these days. The original series likes to have quite big build-ups and then big pay-offs, but it's definitely a slow burner. I guess you'd call it film noir pacing? With mecha rambo. It's odd that way. Despite being old, it's not super tedious (like some bits of gundam) or uber misogynistic (like ALOT of macross), but yeah.