Page 82 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

I wanna beleive in unicorn, but really, the fanbase has been saying "this series is actually good this time!" since about 2000.

I'd probally say 8th MS team is a good place to start, really, if for no other reason than the older series are too old and the newer ones are too hookey. The very first series is probally the strongest naratively, through, so the movies are there if you feel up to it... But then again, Patlabor is even better than that. Hell, the old Appleseed anime or Black Magic M-66 are tight too. So I dunno.

Google around for a mech you really like, make sure the cast of the series don't look too bishe, and watch that. Decent mecha series are like some bizzare fine food. You enjoy that ten minutes of pure greatness where you can find it, because that specific flavour won't appear anywhere else.

oh well i watched full metal panic and really enjoyed that, what's similar?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Woops, wrong thread. Now I must kill myself.
    Last edited by GunZet; 03-10-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    oh well i watched full metal panic and really enjoyed that, what's similar?
    Depends if it's the funny or serious elements that you enjoyed. That series has some good ideas in both camps, but holy wagdug is it imbalanced. x_x

I guess the most similar cheesy comedy/mecha thing I can think of is probally Zone of the Enders: Dolores?... The Patlabor tv series is probally the de-facto good comedy mecha series, and is really similar to FMP in terms of setting, but it's pretty old now. Martian Successor Nadesico is rather high on the weebometer, but it's definately worth a look if you liked the cliche-baiting of TTGL (It also has Gai Daigoji, who is almost definately the inspiration for Kamina). Despite that, it's actually way more 'real' mecha.

If you were talking about a gundam series specifically... Well, they are basically all pretty long-winded and dry as standard, to be honest.
    Last edited by Regantor; 03-10-2014 at 10:30 PM.

AW YEAH I LOVE TTGL IT'S MY FAVORITE SHIT EVER

Diebuster and Gunbuster were also prototypes of that, being Gainax, and have similar epic planet-explodingness, btw. High on the weebometer, but if you liked FMP, then...

Double post, but eh, not like anybody else is posting around here.

Random Anime Crap I Saw #32005052; Wings of Honneamise

One of Gainax and Hideaki Anno's very first big budget thingies, and a weird mash of (extremely) hard science flavor, plus a demi-religious squish. Very much both a slice of life thingy, aswell as a tribute to Yuri Gagarin. Rather than some kind of inhuman hero of justice, the main character pretty much chases a woman's ass for most of the movie before slowly realizing he can actually make a difference to people's lives. Super charming and not a moeblob in sight... In short, what Eva should have and could have been.

8/10 Smoke weed everyday
    2/10 Pretty low on the weebometer

Embarrassingly, I've only ever seen about 2/3rds of Honneamise - really need to fix that. The characters didn't leave a huge impression on me, but I really liked the setting and the world design. Apparently the long delayed follow-up is back on now as well.*

*Yes, I know it's April 1st, but actually serious about that. If I was going down the other route, I'd say Kawajiri was creating a series of films based on I Am A Hero, Gainax were adapting Voynich Hotel and KyoAni are doing Pluto after the new season of Full Metal Panic.

The last third of the movie is easily the best, lol, that's when the action picks up... It is bloody hard to find, even online, through. I just came across it on VHS. Maybe I should stream sometime? I dunno, every time I say that I realise how bloody niche the stuff I dig up is.

If anything, my main problem is that the ending is very Gainax... But it is interesting enough to see a movie where both engineers and religious folks are glorified at the same time, and military types aren't straw men. Nausicaa probably did a similar message better, but eh, it's a thing.

As for the apparent sequel... I'll be more interested when I see how moe the character designs are or aren't.
    Last edited by Regantor; 04-01-2014 at 07:07 PM.

Just watched the stardust crusaders premiere. They must have gotten a huge budget boost because it looks amazing.