Page 81 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

The entire gundam franchise is just bizzare in it's meta-goodness way, really.

Like, all of the coolest stuff in the setting pretty much occurs behind the scenes and gets explained in exposition (if not outright nariration). Take the really awesome submariner neo-zeon veterans in stardust memory. They turn up and do radical giant robot swat-team stuff for about ten seconds, then the series just ups and forgets about them.

Alot of people's favourate zeon suit is the Kampfer, and that appears for about ten seconds in war in the pocket.

The infamous colony drop, and it's aftermath? Almost entirely dealt with in a few games.

I think most people site 80th MS team as their favourate because it comes the closest to being a proper "military robot squad" series, but even that gets totally hyjacked by super weapons and weird ill-fitting romance arcs.

Hell, if they dropped the entire gundam squad in wing, and made it about grunt suits, with a tallgeese here and there? Would have totally worked... Well, at least a bit better...

I'm not saying the classic series are bad, mind. Far from it. Just that Sunrise never seemed to realise quite what made Gundam successful themselves, even in the 90s. >_>

After reading into the history of gundam every time I see a cool mobile suit show up for 2 seconds I assume it was forced on the creator's in order to sell toys and models.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I just like 8th MS Team cause it's far more gritty than any other series, and the scope is way smaller making it feel more personal, rather than it being in general about 1 dude going around blowing up whole armies in one super fast Gundam at light speed. Everyone depends on everyone in 8th. The battles are also toned down, it feels like a modern battle with tanks or something, like HAWKEN.

Though I did grow up with Gundam Wing and Endless Waltz, and I quite liked Gundam Seed. But really if it came down to it, my money's on
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

man rx-78 couldn't go at lightspeed not even close - 165 km/h

Lol, so it's like, half the max speed of a WWII spitfire? XD

As for more gritty and realistic, yeah, that's the essense of "hard" mecha. Votoms was basically Sunrises' natural evolution of that, with no super prototype suits or anything, but the original series is super old and hard to find now. :/

Just finished the last episode of 8th Team. That last episode had me all sorts of confused for a bit. But I am satisfied with the ending.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Always meant to go back and try watching 08th MS Team again. I liked the setting, but my complete lack of enthusiasm for the romance plot led me to give up on it after a couple of episodes. Maybe it's just down to the hype surrounding the franchise, but I always feel let down by Gundam. I want to like it, but... meh.

i have never watched any gundam series but i would like to. does anyone have a recommendation on which ones i should watch and in which order?

You need the mobile suit gundam movie trilogy. It compresses the first series into 3 movies.

Try Unicorn, that's what I'm gonna start watching next. If you want a nice short and sweet series though, 8th MS Team all the way.
    <My comic