Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

haha

I wonder if this blog is funnier if you haven't read jojo

http://outofcontextjojo.tumblr.com/

im following that blog now

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Instead, Gainax clearly made the designs intentional jokes aimed at silly robot shows both mecha fans and non-mecha fans would have seen as kids. So it's not so much a case of appealing to your sense of cool, but trying to fool you into a sense of nostalgia. I guess you could call it reverse-cool?...
    I dunno man. I get what you mean, just personally I think they might have over-engineered it in that regard.

I know it was always going to be harder for Gainax to make that kind of show, given that they didn't have an existing property to revamp. Mazinkaiser isn't that far removed from how Mazinger looked in the '70s, whereas for Gurren Lagann they had to create something entirely new that looked like it was from that time. I just feel that the original Mazinger still looks kind of cool, while Gurren Lagann is too much of an obvious parody.

I actually pretty much agree with you, incase that wasn't obvious. I didn't hate GL, but I probally wouldn't put it in my top ten series either. Diebuster is proof positive of what happens when Gainax try and do exactly the same thing, but more aimed at mecha fans, and personally I think that it's alot more original and interesting. But I'm not going to pretend for a second that it's half as accessible to ani-newbs...

So yeah.

Still pretty suprised that there wasn't a million and one clones like there was with Eva at any rate.

Yeah. Probably a sign of how much mecha shows are out of fashion at the moment. Seems like the only way to sell a non-Eva series is if it's packed full of pretty boys. God help us when they cast that live action Patlabor...

Are they trying to make that again? I though that stopped as just a promo thing a few years back.

Also, at least if it's live action it can't be as bad as Tank Swat. :p

Talking of realisticy mecha stuff, I haven't seen anything at all of Arise yet. Any new opinions on it?
    Last edited by Regantor; 10-06-2013 at 11:32 PM.

Turns out they were much further along with the live-action Patlabor than I'd thought. Not sure how I feel about the 'new generation' cast, but Oshii being involved makes me cautiously optimistic about it. Nice to see him doing comedy again.

Funny thing with Arise was that, despite having been dying to see it, when it finally came out, it hit me that I kind of want to see them announce a dub cast before I watch it. Given that Motoko is younger, it seems unlikely that they'll get Mary Elizabeth McGlynn back, but I'm crossing my fingers anyway (I could listen to her reading the phone book). I think word is generally positive though.

Hum. Wow. The last promo I seen had really lousy CGI, and now they went ahead and built a pair of life-size Ingrams IRL? The fact that they are changing all of the characters and stuff actually makes me pretty optimistic. I mean, now we know it's not just going to be a cash-in remake... Or something barely related like Patlabor WXIII was. Colour my opinions changed.

As for Arise, I tend to be pretty impartial when it comes to Eng/Jap dubs, but GITS was definately better in english. So I guess that's why I haven't really been in too much of a rush either, come to think of it.

It is (Not) a shitty year for Jojo.

http://www.japanator.com/jojo-s-biza...on-29992.phtml