Page 70 of 86 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Jobor the stalwart
    How would you describe boaty feet
    Erm, like... Little floaty boat things?... Streamlined pod things?... Erm...

Something along these lines. -_-

Skis would work too, but it would sink down to it's belly whenever it stops.

If you're really dedicated to putting rockets on the feet, I guess you could always squash the body a bit and give it a kinda "hubcap ufo" shape, too. This could act like a skipping stone at high speeds; but actually getting to that speed, dragging the legs and everything through the water, would take ages...

Unless you, ah, put it upsidedown too. But that would probally look kinda dumb. :I

Quote Originally Posted by the rebel that guy knew once
    Wouldn't that be considered "Realistic" then and not "Real?" (Thus my confusion... who comes up with these terms anyways?)

But back to my original request: Can you guys give me some good mecha titles? I have zero (well, very little) experience in this genre, and while I don't enjoy it personally, I want to be "well watched."

I haven't even seen Evangelion---what is your opinion on that?
    I guess people just call it "real" instead of "realistic" because most of the series still involve outer space and psychic mutants and junk for flavour. But eh.

For somebody watching for the very first time, I guess I recommend... erm... Maybe Macross Plus? Some of the half-decent Gundam stuff mentioned above? Blue Gender is pretty good, at least most of it. You can't go wrong with the Ghost in the Shell TV series, but it doesn't actually have that much focus on mecha, really.

Kinda depends on what you actually like, through. If you aren't interested in the look and feel of big stompy robots, there is no point forcing yourself to sit through stuff, really. Maybe it's worth just youtubing some trailers and stuff to see if you find any of the mentioned thingies cool looking?...
    Last edited by Regantor; 08-06-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Rocket feet are negotiable. What about boaty feet with a jet engine on the bottom pushing up.

Depends how you wanted it to move.

That would probally result in something like the lunar lander test thingy or fly short range like a harrier's landing mode.

If you wanted something more like a hovercraft, I would suggest just putting engines on the back. I suggested the boat feet 'cause that would make it move like a hydrofoil, sliding around on the surface.

Should probally say at this point, through, I am completely pulling it apart from a modern engineery perspective, remember.

At the end of the day, this is still all bog standard modern kit. With future technoligy comes new rules. So you can just make stuff up and get away with it, still. The question is implications. If you have super affordable, ever-lasting jet engines, can you imagine how insanely fast and powerful an actual jet fighter would become? If you invent anti-grav, why not entire flying battleships? Weaknesses are really, really important to making it beleiveable; Making it feel mundane, which is what real mecha is all about.

Otherwise you end up with interstellar, super advanced space men than fight in pajamas with handguns like in Star Trek.

If it were to be able to move in 4 directions would it make sense to have 4 engines on separated by like 90 degrees

Yeah, sure, why not.

Rockets maybe better than jet engines. The latter do not like water (It'll go down the intakes). But that's up to you.

I mean I said jet engines but it doesn't really matter as long as it can zoom along the water.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Eh....

JETS ---pulls water through the engine for propulsion

ROCKETS ----burn fuel like hell to push through the air

Rockets don't work underwater, man.

If it were to be able to move in 4 directions would it make sense to have 4 engines on separated by like 90 degrees
    Well... four directions sounds good, but it won't look good. This is probably your problem now... why don't you have the "legs" act as legs when not in water, and when in water fold up into skis or something?

Also... maybe this should be moved to another thread?
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

He said rockets first, so I assumed he meant airjets. Waterjets need to be submerged and would limit the top speed. Airjets would suck in too much water. Both would foul and conk out when you try and change directions (since the air/water would be hitting the craft at the wrong angle for the intakes).

Rockets just above surface, raised out of the water by nice floaty feet, would have none of these problems. And yes, they do work even completely underwater, just not super effeciently. :3

As for the whole retractable leg thing, yes, it would reduce drag, but I was trying not to change his design too much.

The legs could transform yeah. Keep the trackballs on the bottom but have floaty 'shins' high enough to keep the thing above the surface.

Sounds legit to me.