Page 68 of 89 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

Damn totally forgot about igloo.
    Gonna start zeta now.

@rebel: And that is why you suck.

Eh, I don't think disliking mecha is all that uncommon these days - I think it's just a reflection of what the big shows are now and how the fanbase has changed over time.

Kinda with Jubei on 08th MS though. I didn't get that far into it when I tried to watch it but, much as I liked the setting (Gundams that break down!), I thought the romance plot was very poorly done. If I was being unkind, I'd say it was like an attempt to marry Macross and Votoms under the Gundam banner, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

Mellowlink, I have a lot of time for, but yeah... did not think characterisation was the show's strong point. The one time they would have been justified in having an angst-riddled protag and he's cool as a cucumber.

I'll give 0083 a shot anyway. Depressingly, I seem to choose mecha shows on the strength of their theme tune, and I really like MiQ. She was like a one-woman Jam Project...

I pick mine based on how sexy the main mech is.

gaff you should finish 8th ms team

It has some truly cool moments that don't really happen until the end. The love story never ties up properly though, and never really started properly either.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Why I don't like mecha:

1. The music (generally) sucks. (Not as bad as some other genres usually do though)

2. The settings are usually hashed/cliche (Yet another space station?)

3. One mech is the same as another... there doesn't tend to be very much originality to the designs

4. The protag is usually some 12 or 14 year old, altruistic, innocent, annoying kid. Shallow and unbelievable.

5. There are SO many episodes for ONE plot point!!! (Wait a minute, that's every anime in existence... scratch that last one.)

6. There's usually a basket load of completely unneccesary characters... yet they continue to show up when you least want them there. (You know, the old guy. The whiny kid. The incredibly dim/and or bad class clown guy...)

7. Let's face it... those suits can get rather... awkward. (I'm sure those animators get a migrane every time they see a new character design.)

8. There seems to be a bizzilion mecha shows out there, and by now most of them are pretty old. Nothing wrong with a staple, same could be said of the latest trends. I personally like stuff that's a bit more obscure... then again, mecha IS obscure nowadays.
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Are you talking about super robot or real robot, or is any show with a robot just automatically shit to you.

Eh. There are alot of truly terrible mecha shows these days, so I can't blame anybody for not liking it. Vandread, Burst Angel, Gundam Seed, Gundam AGE...

Hell, it's been a long while since I've seen a new Gundam or Macross series that's held my attention for more than ten minutes.

But it's just like your classic fantasy or vampire hunter series or whatever. A single very good series always breeds twenty new terrible clones and cash-ins.

Ok either I've watched some odd mecha shows or did he really just say the music sucks?
    Then again 00 is the most recent mecha show that I've watched. There was a couple tracks I really liked in it.

Three Trio Tres Member theAnimeRebel's Avatar
    Super Robot/real robot... eh?

By "real" robot do you mean androids and millitary tech? I haven't seen any "mecha" shows with these in them yet, (except Appleseed, which I didn't enjoy at all) maybe you guys can point them out to me?

Cast---not sure what your definition of "good" music is. Perhaps pot a few links? (I was thinking of that overly dramatic stuff that uses way to much of one thing. Usually they're overboard on the brass/strings or "electronic" side of things. Melodramatic mood tracks without much creativity.)
    "Make sure the room is brightly lit and stay far away from the TV."

(Also, I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!)

Oh man. Yeah. Appleseed was horrible. Made all the worse by the fact that the manga is fantastic.

What people are really talking about is the differance between mecha that act like super hero power ranger things, and mecha that act like military hardware, through.

'Super' Mecha;

'Real' Mecha;

You can generally spot the really bad series by the ones that try and have it both ways. The transformers movies do this. Scream "SERIOUS BUINESS" and then force you to watch the director to bash two CGI action figures togeather for an hour and a half.

There are exceptions. Like Nadesico or Gurren Laggan. Those are sort of parodies, through.
    Last edited by Regantor; 08-04-2013 at 11:27 AM.