Page 49 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Anime Talk

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Was that a serious question?

The only anime I know of that has Masks as a serious theme are Code Geass and Darker than Black. I haven't played Majora's Mask, but you could check those out if you like.

5 harem animes on just friday, oh man oh man! I feel popular already!

have you guys checked out sword art online? gamers paradise becomes gamers prison lol

Not the most exciting review, but I have made a shiny new (old?) retro-style title sequence, and that's what's important.

More than a month late, but that review wasn't half bad. Almost makes me think about westerns more than anime, really. I generally prefer non-american westerns since they lack all of the traditional good guy vs bad guy story telling, but I can't deny that it is a corruption of the genre.

Anyhow.

Film4 has been playing a few new anime late at night for some of those english humans. Paprika was pretty inspired more than anything, but Tekkonkinkreet was freakin' phenomenal in perticular.

Yeah, both of those films are fantastic psychological thrillers. I really need to buy Tekkon Kinkreet because it has this excellent sense of impending doom looming over it. And Satoshi Kon is (was ) pretty much the greatest director in modern anime history. That scene in Paprika where Chiba is running through a glass corridor and every time an obstruction comes between her and the camera she switches between her actual appearance and Paprika is genius. In a similar vein, the opening sequence, and this one:

Last edited by Delphinus; 08-20-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I had no idea he was dead.

As for Paprika, you can really tell that the guy was a raging Terry Gilliam fan. It takes the sort of pipe dreams that Brazil or Fear and Loathing lived off of, and takes them much further than, say, Inception did...

Worked on Patlabor 2 aswell, supposedly, another one of my niche faves.

That's really a major bummerface. :///

Yeah and he died 3 days after my birthday (24th August). I may pay a little homage to him on Friday by watching Paprika and Millenium Actress back-to-back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Hmm, I never really took to Patlabor 2 as much as the first film. I know a lot of people rate the second film very highly, but I just found it a bit too clinical for my liking. As a director, I have a lot of respect for Oshii, but he seems to have developed a real knack for sucking the fun out of everything. See also Ghost in the Shell.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Yaoi and BL manga/anime are creating horrible stereotypes and delusions of what a gay relationship (and a healthy one at that) is really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaff View Post
    Hmm, I never really took to Patlabor 2 as much as the first film. I know a lot of people rate the second film very highly, but I just found it a bit too clinical for my liking. As a director, I have a lot of respect for Oshii, but he seems to have developed a real knack for sucking the fun out of everything. See also Ghost in the Shell.
    GITS, Jin-Roh and Patlabor 2 were all movies that I really disliked upon first seeing, but I could sort of appreciate the "as close to real life as possible" approach after the second time. Slowly building tension, with death holding a much more heavy and significant effect than in most other movies. You just have to be in a very specific mood to watch them. A useful western comparison is David Lynch.

Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet are absolutely nothing like that and have definite ease of watching, so I wouldn't worry, through, anyway.