Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Animal Testing

Just remember that it's mandatory to do stuff to animals for serums and vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Animals don't feel pain from us any differently. They are just far less expressive about it because...well...they're just not as sophisticated as us. But human lives are definitely worth more simply because of our potential to contribute to society.

And mice may be bred or ordered from a breeder for testing, because for results to remain consistent, it has to be very controlled; even down to the genetic level. And the reason rights activists don't have issues with milk or cheese is because they're byproducts, and don't require killing the animal. In fact, animals who create these byproducts are actually maintained particularly well to ensure the best produce. And hen eggs--the kinds you get at stores--are not fertilized so you will not have killed an unborn chicken by eating one. If they were fertilized, there would be visible embryos in all of them.
    If so, then I don't quite understand why a lot of vegans get mad about humans using animals for their milk and cheese?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    They're mad about the way they //think// those animals are being treated due to propaganda films. Animals which are to be slaughtered are treated horribly but animals raised for their produce are treated fairly well.

It can also be for religious reasons too. There a sects of Hinduism which forbid the eating of milk and cheese, but yeah, when middle class people in the west do it their doing it usually because they think it is somehow cruel to the animal to eat its produce because they feel the animal is being exploited in the process. They may have a point with chickens farms, but using the same argument in regards to cow pastures is just silly.

There are some vegans who have this strange idea that one should only eat, essentially, vegetables for moral reasons. However you could argue, if you really wanted too, that plants have 'feelings' aswell, to an extent. The fact that animals eat other living organisms, in some form, is just simply that; fact. No getting away from it.

I think it's pretty okay to test on both animals and humans... But that's just the horrible, unpopular opinion of a horribly unpopular person, haha.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Would you volunteer to be tested on?

No, but I'd apply for a job to be tested on if I were desperate and fell into an immense depression where I had no hope for the future.

I hear you get paid good money for taking part in drug trials, actually.

And most drug trials should be relatively safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

I might do that to pay for college, haha. Wouldn't it be ironic, if I died getting prepared to live my dream?

EDIT: Shit, can't, forgot, damn.

Fenn
    This is a good question.topic because it raises morality questions about humans too. For example, if you are worried about human testing being "inhumane," why is doing the same thing to an animal necessarily humane?

As far as food, I thought I read/heard that the best tasting meats and animal products come from the healthiest, "happiest" animals. If they are completely satisfied while they are alive and don't suffer for more than a moment during slaughter, is that really a bad life for an animal that would have to fight and fend for itself in the wild?