Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK/European Riots

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    That's the thing. News these days are usually presented in a certain light. You will just have to decide on your own what is fact and what is opinion. Personally, I try to find various news sources and see what they all say about the matter and decide for myself.

Also, lets not forget what started this all off, the police shooting and killing a black man in Tottenham, North London. The first story was that Mark Duggan (the man killed) opened fire on a armed police officer where the bullet, like a bad hollywood action movie, hit the police officers radio, saving him. The policeman then returned fire and from his injures Duggan died. New evidence has confirmed that Duggan didn't fire his gun at all, so yet again we have another case where the London Metropolitan police have killed an innocent man, and if the man wasn't innocent then it does raise the question why a lie needed to be told.

I'm not saying the resulting riots are justifiable because of that, almost all the rioters have no affilation with the murdered man, but you can't expect there to be no reaction.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    It probably just snowballed into other issues. Given how desensitized people are to that kind of thing, I doubt it was little more than an excuse to tack other issues onto the same agenda.

But yeah, I mean...jobs are hard to find, man. Even jobs which don't require qualifications of any sort are hard to find, because you have people with degrees applying for blue collar work since actual employers can't afford to hire them. The McDonalds in my neighborhood receives stacks and stacks of applications from college graduates--people with degrees--who can't find work in their respective fields.

It's not on the BBC website or anything, but I just saw a news report of David Cameron saying they should cut off facebook and twitter... Christ, does this guy realise how much he is starting to sound like Stalin?...

A completely berated and unnoted guy who got interveiwed on the street had a better idea. "The three pillars of society are the goverment, police and banks. Each one of them has shown massive incompitence and corruption time after time, but they always get away with it. They have caused billions of pounds worth of damage to the economy. Those rioters? Saving up for trainers. Saving up for a nice coat. Scrounging to survive... Of course they couldn't care less about what society thinks anymore."

I dunno if I can relate... No one saves up for a decent wardrobe of pantaloons anymore... 'Specially not guys...

'Cept Lacia.

But yeah, this would be lots more easy in a "middle" society.

Still, I can't say this is a great way to get your point across. These riots are gonna get quelled one way or another, and then it turns into a police brutality sob story. We've had too many good arguments that end up as sob stories and swept under the rug because people couldn't find a better way to handle it than riot (like the stories of countless people in third world countries, including my home country). Or at least complement the riot with some action on the political front.

Also all of the wannabe-martyrs and opportunists are destroying the image of those concerned.

How can you say that?! Riots are sugoi da!

Historically riots are only effective after the police brutally stomp them out. They make the best heart-wrenching sob stories. Basically they work in allowing the government to demonize themselves, despite the rioters being the root of most of the damage and harm. It works, but hardly with the immediacy that a riot demands.

Actually, I can see this happening already. Everyone's crying about the rubber bullets but apparently it's hypocritical to show concern for those whose properties and homes were unnecessarily and unfairly accosted by the riots.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 08-11-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Uh, no, I just meant that they're a change of pace. You know, something less boring than congress. Nothing that deep.

Riots only happen for our entertainment.