Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Question Advice needed

* In trods a noobish graphic novelist equipped with all his supplies (india ink and pens, erasers and pencils) and he throws himself before the temple of manga and grovels to the manga gods for guidance in the building of his shonen style manga.* Now, would you be suprised if that novelist happens to be me. Well it is and I come humbly asking for assistance from those in the know. I'm usually a do everything myself person but... eh
    I have an amazing plot, a set of dynamic characters and good twists. I just need help with really....how I approach it now to start the process and bring my ideas to fruition.
    Thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by silvrenvos; 06-28-2011 at 12:04 PM.

If it's of any interest to any body my magna idea deals with string theory and the idea of multiple dimensions. It's a very intricate plot.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    It would help if you posted what you are having trouble with. Everyone is allways scared "some one will steal my idea if I tell them about it" but really no one can help you if you don't talk about it. Really we are going to need to see some of your work to be of any help. If you are doing things like string theory you are going to need (well maybe maybe not.) to break it down and explain it as simply as possible so your reader is pulled into it more and feels a connection to it all. I am interested in how you will start it off because the child genius schtic has been done allot and it's kind of boring to see some old guy go about his business since he probably knows what he is doing and it's not a real learning adventure.
    If it were say the son of a scientist who was thrown into another dimension or something like that with only his dads theory's (like a note book) on how other dimensions work and possibly how to traverse them that could be interesting IMO. But as I've said before we'd need some back story and plot to help any.

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    I'm a bit confused. What are the actual problems that you are having? Motivation? Organizing the plot? Script formatting?

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander_Hamilton View Post
    I'm a bit confused. What are the actual problems that you are having? Motivation? Organizing the plot? Script formatting?
    I think he's lost with how to translate his ideas into physical comic pages. He wants to know how to go about physically creating and eventually publishing his work.

None of which I will be of any help.

>:3 I was afraid to put my plot because it's so good XD. It's about a play on string theory where the main character must protect the tapestry that is the universe from being torn apart by a religious organization. His weapon is a needle shaped rapier. This religious organization is trying to tear holes in the deminsions to get to the seventh deminsion because thats where they think heaven is. his job is to stop them. (basic plot) I need more time to type more later for y'all gtg for now

I will have to find more time to type up this idea

ok

I'm Not a Spammer!
    Don't waste your time reading this if the problem is something to do with publishing or scripts, but...
    If it's any help, sometimes studying is great inspiration. Check out animes and mangas, tv shows, the sci-fi section at a bookstore/library, maybe even random stuff on youtube. See if there's any technique or method that seems common(and see if you like that method) or see if there's anything that inspires you. Innovation is your friend. Even try running parts of the story through your head when you're not busy. It'll start getting more and more detailed. And if you're kind of stuck on some of the details, just draw a random page to take place in the middle of whenever with the characters just doing something, pretty much anything related that fits with the storyline(being decieved, realizing something important, getting in a fight, the religious leaders planning how to destroy the tapestry). It might not be part of the finished project, or even the rough draft, but it's practice and can be looked back on when you're stuck. Sorry if that doesn't help... Different people think and work differently, but I hope it helps.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Needle shaped rapier = Normal shaped rapier. Sounds cool dude. Listen to some good music if you need motivation.
    My CC thread - Updated 01/30/14
    My AA thread - Updated 03/04/14