Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science Thread

Fenn
    So how about that string theory? To this day I can't figure out what it even means.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    That's okay. No one can.

Basically to make an absurdly complex theory absurdly simple, the gist of string theory is that... well.

Imagine you have a guitar or violin or other stringed musical instrument. You know how the way you pluck/twang/whatever the strings makes them make different sounds? String theory is sort of like that. The basic gist is that the universe is ultimately and really made up of one-dimensional cosmic strings and that the various particles we observe are just the strings vibrating at different frequencies, kind of like how the same string on a guitar can make different sounds.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Meh...... im more interested in black holes........
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Sounds like junk, though...

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    That's okay. No one can.

Basically to make an absurdly complex theory absurdly simple, the gist of string theory is that... well.

Imagine you have a guitar or violin or other stringed musical instrument. You know how the way you pluck/twang/whatever the strings makes them make different sounds? String theory is sort of like that. The basic gist is that the universe is ultimately and really made up of one-dimensional cosmic strings and that the various particles we observe are just the strings vibrating at different frequencies, kind of like how the same string on a guitar can make different sounds.
    So the universe is one big groovy tune played by a cosmic hippie? Far out man...

This band (universe) is so overrated (hipster).

Fenn
    Also in neuroscience, did anyone watch a program which centered around a man who had several (7 i think) concussions during his life. After the seventh, he suddenly was able to play the piano beautifully. He can't read music or play specific songs, but put him in front of a keyboard and he can play esquisite improvisational pieces. They even showed him perform. He was amazing.

However, the downside is that he MUST play often. If he doesn't, he gets painful headaches from what can only be described so far as music overload. He also claims that he visually sees the notes as little boxes flying past his face.

Crazy thing, the brain.

Good thing i don't have one.
    Problem?
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
    Good thing i don't have one.
    Freakin robots. Get out of my thread.

ON TOPIC: I've been reading about relativity and quantam theory. According to general relativity, objects that are accelerating in space travel slower through time. So next time you're walking down the street, remember you're falling behind all the stationary objects around you in time.

inb4chaoscontrol
    Last edited by Fenn; 08-24-2011 at 04:45 PM.

I heard that too. But i think that you need to travel REALLY fast, and you should be somewhere where there is absolutely no gravity(so yeah probably space, but i thought that in galaxy space there are minuscule gravity forces).
    Problem?