Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science Thread

i want teleportation ability

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    You want (almost certainly) impossible things.

Edited for accuracy.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

actually that was reply to gunzet and hamachi.. i was shocked at your post come out when i click post quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    two questions in all of existence that are fundamentally unanswerable.
    so what is the other one?
    Last edited by ram; 08-04-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Possibly what went on before the big bang. Although I'd argue that it might one day be able to simulate the big bang with a sufficiently powerful computer or in some hideously far flung future. Both are absurdly unrealistic but still hint that such knowledge may be fundamentally knowable, even if in practical terms they are unknowable.

I'd argue that it's very likely that - barring radical changes in our understanding of black holes and/or gravity and/or lightspeed limitations - what goes on beyond the event horizon is fundamentally unknowable and will always be so. Any 'theories' would be nothing more than largely baseless conjecture.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    theories are just theories until it's proven as fact is it not? yes all discovery starts with theories. but for people to already accept them as fact is no different from religions. based on the fact that they put faith on something that is not yet proven.

edit: i might not stay in this thread too long for debate. i really don't like debating in forums cause it's just for cowards who can ask google for help. It's far too different in real life debates face to face.
    Erm, no. A scientific theory is an assortment of facts that are testable and repeatable that arrive at a conclusion that enables predictions. Its strange why religious folk bad mouth theories because they aren't 'facts' all the while being ignorant of the fact that a theory is made up of facts. Dear oh dear. Also, I suspect the reason you don't wanna debate on a forum is because you can not support you're position, with or without google. And, no, debating in real life isn't any different at all, unless you need google to help you.

I was actually watching the Colbert report, and he had a theoretical physicist as a guest (Brian Greene, aka smartypants), and Colbert asked something like, "so if everything you worked on, for years and years, in which tons and tons of tests were ran that lead to the same conclusion every time, was debunked, you would drop everything?" and the dude was like "yeah". Of course, automatically I thought about if a priest was asked this and knew their answer would be completely different (read: no). But this isn't the psalm thread soo

I have a book on string theory by Greene. He's pretty good.

Wonder what the spine title says.
    String Theory by G.? rofl

First of all, thanks. Second, sorry for being lazy and not reading the book(watch a video) to jog my memory. =w=' it is the Higgs Boson. And (as I've heard, from nat geos show Trough the wormhole with Morgan Freeman) the Higgs boson is the particle that keeps all the other particles together. The Higgs field is everywhere, at every point of the space. So there is no real empty space. And as the titty obsessed braniac( yeah kodos im talking about you >: D) said it does have something to do with mass, but its more unique that they are thinking that The Higgs field is in the whole of the universe all the time! The higgs boson is the field particle of the higgs field, they react with everything, except the graviton, foton, and i rly can't remember the third one. And the only way thy are connected with mass is that they will react more intensively with particles that have a higher mass. It doesn't have a role in mass, but its activity with the other particles is measured in comparison to the mass of the particle. And on top of all that.............all of those theories.....all of those solutions ....go down the drain if they somehow conclude that that there is no Higgs bosson ....=w=......imagine it.........

There was a discussion thing with Steven Hawking yesterday on the science channel? anyone watch it?