Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Science Thread

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Let's assume he's 16.

In 1995, the year of his birth, we produced the first atom of antihydrogen.
    Last year we produced cold antihydrogen and kept it around for a sixth of a second. Earlier this year we replicated that feat and kept it stable for an entire 15 minutes of study. We also produced some Antihelium-4.
    Also in 1995 a speech at a meeting of string theorists united the major string theories of the time into M-Theory, or Brane Theory.
    1995 also was the year of the discovery of the Top Quark, which was found to be a lot more massive than previously predicted.
    In 2000 we discovered the Tau Neutrino.
    In 2002 and 2004 strong evidence was produced for Sagittarius A being a supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy.
    Results from the LHC this year have ruled out the existence of the Higgs Boson with roughly 95% certainty. The lack of any observed SUSY particles being produced at the LHC also is an ominous portent for the future of supersymmetry theory.

I'm sleepy and lazy and that's just some quick googling. There's more. And even more massive breakthroughs if you count the 80's and 70's which, while not in Gedeons' literal lifetime. I would say are part of "our" lifetime. At least the 80's.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Let's assume he's 16.

In 1995, the year of his birth, we produced the first atom of antihydrogen.
    Last year we produced cold antihydrogen and kept it around for a sixth of a second. Earlier this year we replicated that feat and kept it stable for an entire 15 minutes of study. We also produced some Antihelium-4.
    Also in 1995 a speech at a meeting of string theorists united the major string theories of the time into M-Theory, or Brane Theory.
    1995 also was the year of the discovery of the Top Quark, which was found to be a lot more massive than previously predicted.
    In 2000 we discovered the Tau Neutrino.
    In 2002 and 2004 strong evidence was produced for Sagittarius A being a supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy.
    Results from the LHC this year have ruled out the existence of the Higgs Boson with roughly 95% certainty. The lack of any observed SUSY particles being produced at the LHC also is an ominous portent for the future of supersymmetry theory.

I'm sleepy and lazy and that's just some quick googling. There's more. And even more massive breakthroughs if you count the 80's and 70's which, while not in Gedeons' literal lifetime. I would say are part of "our" lifetime. At least the 80's.
    Yeah, I guess they're big, but how many of them have had any impact beyond the realm of "Now we know!"

^that. Although yeah i admit we had quite a lot of major discoveries to date from '94
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Fenn
    Necro'ing with good purpose. Have we found the Higgs?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...?newsfeed=true

Shit just got real.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Why did I read the comments of that article ughhh

lol

Fenn
    Fine, so it was an excuse to revive the thread, but you can't say it's nothing.

yay, it exists... now we just have to wait another few more years...

We don't know it exists yet.