Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science Thread

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Brains don't stop until the cells start dying. The cells don't start dying until Oxygen supply is cut off for extended periods. Well, assuming it's not damage caused by trauma or some other kind of accident. Identity is a little more abstract than genetics and memories, IMO. It's defined by consciousness. It's the attachment of your mind and senses to your physical being. You are the only one who can feel it when you get hit. You are the only one who can decipher the thoughts in your head. You are the only one who can see exactly what you are seeing. So even if there is an exact clone of you, unless it has your conscience, then it's not you.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia
    It's the attachment of your mind and senses to your physical being.
    This would imply a form of Cartesian Dualism. How do you propose to deal with the various classical problems of philosophy of the mind, such as the interaction between mind and body? In addition, do you reject materialism, and if so, based on what reasoning or evidence? Do you believe in the existence of a soul?

Or are you arguing that the continuity of a consciousness constitutes its identity and singularity? Because if so, that would just mean you were agreeing with Kodos to an extent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I don't believe in the seance of "souls", but I do believe in a conscience. And this conscience is something that does not exist physically but, rather, figuratively. Just as software on a computer does not exist in a physical state beyond where the memory is stored. This webpage we're viewing, essentially, does not exist in a physical realm, but in a realm of data. I believe our conscience is a similar entity. Our bodies are simply where the memory is stored, but the interface is what determines who we are.

And I would have to ask what you mean by "continuity of a conscience" to avoid some misunderstanding. To put it simply, though, the ability to experience things as a physical entity through the interface of your conscience creates your identity. Because, as far as I'm concerned, only you yourself can do that and nobody else. It's a merger between your physiology and psychology.

^i would agree with cypes idea of interface and conciseness.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Fenn

On to a less argumentative topic:

What is your favorite scientific field or area? What do you enjoy reading about the most when it comes to science?

Black holes and super-novas
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    That ever expanding thing known as space. Gives my head a funny feeling.

Technology and Social Impact (probably Internet).

What can I say, I love archeology and technology is almost as a synonymous.

Space amazes me to infinite extents, but medical science is something I really find fascinating. Chemical reactions, biophysics, and how science affects our medical state. It's pretty insane when you get down to it.

On the grand scale? Bio-electronic interfacing. Like that computer they built using cells from a rat's brain or prosthetics. Also artificial intelligence and genetic algorithms.

On the hobbyist scale (i.e. stuff that I can do)? Logic gates, electric engineering, and things that go boom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.