Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science Thread

Everything's a theory. You may think you're processing things, but there's really no way of proving you are. Hence, since belief is needed for anything, you cannot prove through your five senses or mine that I'm not a pineapple. In my new station as a pineapple, I now dub all of you honorary teakettles.

To make this relevant to the topic, anyone hear updates about that black hole machine made years ago?

SPOILER! :
    I'm being scientifically dense right here on purpose. For the fun of it, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvester_Of_Sorrow View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that you don't know what a scientific theory actually is?
    theories are just theories until it's proven as fact is it not? yes all discovery starts with theories. but for people to already accept them as fact is no different from religions. based on the fact that they put faith on something that is not yet proven.

edit: i might not stay in this thread too long for debate. i really don't like debating in forums cause it's just for cowards who can ask google for help. It's far too different in real life debates face to face.
    Last edited by ram; 08-04-2011 at 02:36 AM.

Hmmm.. I've always been fascinated by quantum physics/mechanics.. space, time, consciousness.. how it all fits together.. is this all just one big net of structured patterns, or is it all chaos?.. hmmm wouldn't it be nice if parallel universes did in fact exist past our collective conscious theories? Or is all this reality a ruse.. ultimately we're locked inside our head.. literally.. your senses all travel through nerve endings and what have you to your brain with electrical pulses.. where all the information is assembled.. for all i know.. I could be just a brain in a jar with plugs and wires connected to it that give it electrical information telling my brain different functions.. fooling all senses..

Anyway.. Dark matter huh? What about anti-matter? I heard one of the two were caught and held for like 16 minutes to be studied.. I think it was anti-matter.. yes definitely anti-matter.. Anyway.. Dark matter makes sense to me.. Anti-Matter is what kind of freaks me out..

So yeah.. Science is fun and thought provoking.. especially since it seems our sci-fi is becoming "sci-fact" as quoted by one of my favorite physicists

lol that sounds just like matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    theories are just theories until it's proven as fact is it not? yes all discovery starts with theories. but for people to already accept them as fact is no different from religions. based on the fact that they put faith on something that is not yet proven.
    Wow, are you for real? No, theory is not like religion (even so some people use them as the same), because with religion you want everything to fit the ideas, in theory if it doesn't fit the theory change or is discarded. Again, with this comment, it's obviously you don't know what is science.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoslip View Post
    Hmmm.. I've always been fascinated by quantum physics/mechanics.. space, time, consciousness.. how it all fits together.. is this all just one big net of structured patterns, or is it all chaos?..
    Chaos theory already say there is a patter, but we are unable to see it, and that the patter of structure has a tendency to chaos or destruction by a lost of energy.

The most funny thing about sience is htat, just as you guys said, almost everything is a theory! Almost all of the solutions that scientist come up with are not confirmed( Bozons particle, The way molecules react to each other, anti-matter, energy....). They already came up with an idea that explains how atoms stick together, with the help of the bozons particle, and they have already accepted it as a fact.......but no one has ever seen it. So basiclly they know a lot about atoms and how they react IF their theory is correct, if not.....its back to square one. And that's why science fascinates me! The great Greek minds have already started thinking about molecules and how they bind an combine to make......well everything. And they didn't even have the ability to see micro-organizams, and that also means no atomic excelators! So thats all.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

I'm just saying that people put too much faith in theories,

Sorry for comparing science and religion.
    and yes i know that religions are just nothing but ideas and just some stupid superstition that someone come up with while sticking his finger on his nose while coming up with an idea that "THERE IS GOD!"(well that's what you guys would say considering your so obsessed with insulting religions) and theories are fits of facts into consideration.

I'm just saying that people now a days say they know what is going on in black holes and know what is going on in every part of that world while they hear theories of people.
    and they come up that there is no mystery in the world.

You'll all be sorry for doubting me when our race ascends to the next level of fruity existence!
    (Agnostics, atheists or theists, take that statement as you will)

What's sad about science and specifically the Hadron collider is that someone in India hanged himself believing a black hole would be formed from subatomic particles smacking each other at superspeed. Ah, the collateral damages of progress.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    But if we do ascend somehow. That means magic is REAL. And all this time, I probably really could shoot fire out my hands, but just didn't know how to unlock the potential O_O.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    I'm just saying that people put too much faith in theories,

Sorry for comparing science and religion.
    and yes i know that religions are just nothing but ideas and just some stupid superstition that someone come up with while sticking his finger on his nose while coming up with an idea that "THERE IS GOD!"(well that's what you guys would say considering your so obsessed with insulting religions) and theories are fits of facts into consideration.

I'm just saying that people now a days say they know what is going on in black holes and know what is going on in every part of that world while they hear theories of people.
    and they come up that there is no mystery in the world.
    Find me a single scientist who has ever claimed to have reliable knowledge of what goes on beyond the event horizon of a black hole. Because I am aware of none. Hell, I'd dare say that the answer to "what goes on inside a black hole?" is probably one of the only two questions in all of existence that are fundamentally unanswerable.

Anyway. This thread reminds me - is there any interest in another astronomy/astrophysics thread? I made one last year, but people didn't seem to care and it died. If people want one, I'll get to work making one next week when I'm back home in NY and have access to my books and shit so I can cross-check my memory and make sure that I'm not forgetting or misremembering anything.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
    The most funny thing about sience is htat, just as you guys said, almost everything is a theory! Almost all of the solutions that scientist come up with are not confirmed( Bozons particle,
    There is no "boson" particle. Bosons are a type of particle that act as carriers for the fundamental forces of the universe. There are several bosons involved in the cohesion of atoms since the strong and weak nuclear forces as well as electromagnetism are all active forces inside of an atom.

The way molecules react to each other, anti-matter, energy....).
    Energy is just matter. E=MC^2.

They already came up with an idea that explains how atoms stick together, with the help of the bozons particle, and they have already accepted it as a fact.......but no one has ever seen it.
    Are you talking about the Higgs Boson? That has to do with gravity and/or mass (it's complicated) and gravity is far too weak a force to have anything to do with individual atoms. The only thing the Higgs Boson would have to do with atoms is it's role in mass. The existence or lack thereof of the Higgs Boson is meaningless for our theories of atoms and nuclear physics.
    As for the actual bosons involved, they have all, IIRC, been observed in labs. So wrong.

Just wanted to clear up some misconceptions.
    Last edited by Kodos; 08-04-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!