Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Science Thread

well i'm not one of those people who accepted theories as facts anyway, actually i'm annoyed why people sometimes answer my question with theories

A theory is only accepted until is disproved. Also a Theory is never used to reach a true solution to a problem, only a less-fake solution (Popper).

I hate this sort of threads because are to wide to discuss, do you want to discuss quantum theory, phenomenology, epistemology, Kant, what?! If you want to discuss if we are at the near end of discovering you are not pretty smart.

Science is still in diapers, we still don't know so many things that are in front of us, we still fight each others to understand things and even more with quatum theory and everything that goes with dark holes, dimensions and time, science is re-thinking everything that people though they knew.

PS: 200 years ago no one would discuss Time, still a lot of people would use it as a variable for experiments, without knowing how complex is the variable. And now the variable has become the object of study. And not just that, Quantum Theory also put dimensions as a object of study, while 200 years ago where variable for study. We are re-evaluating everything we though we knew, and I bet that in 400 years more we are gonna do it again.

Phenomenology and epistemology and Kant aren't science. They have ramifications on science but they're philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

It's philosophy of Science and It's part of what science is. The same as Quantum theory is part of what science is.

I assume we're talking about scientific discoveries etc. not the scientific method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Well, that's why I hate this kind of threads, are to wide to discuss. Also if we talk about scientific discovery, we first need to understand what and how are we discovering (kinda weird that you call phenomenology and epistemology a method, when they are problems that bring theories, the theories then become methods and so in techniques. And the theory already have a pretty wide amount of problems and different many other theories).

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    A theory is only accepted until is disproved. Also a Theory is never used to reach a true solution to a problem, only a less-fake solution (Popper).

I hate this sort of threads because are to wide to discuss, do you want to discuss quantum theory, phenomenology, epistemology, Kant, what?! If you want to discuss if we are at the near end of discovering you are not pretty smart.

Science is still in diapers, we still don't know so many things that are in front of us, we still fight each others to understand things and even more with quatum theory and everything that goes with dark holes, dimensions and time, science is re-thinking everything that people though they knew.

PS: 200 years ago no one would discuss Time, still a lot of people would use it as a variable for experiments, without knowing how complex is the variable. And now the variable has become the object of study. And not just that, Quantum Theory also put dimensions as a object of study, while 200 years ago where variable for study. We are re-evaluating everything we though we knew, and I bet that in 400 years more we are gonna do it again.
    That's a reasonable complaint Clock. The hope was that people would post or bring up certain topics, which would then be discussed. Since no one has done that yet, I'll start:

TOPIC: Dark Matter.

My big question is why are we spending millions of dollars trying to prove or disprove Dark Matter when I can see very little practical applications of it at all. I get the whole "For the sake of science and curiosity" argument, but dark matter is a far different study and investment from, say, space travel, which was so unknown when it began that there may have been, and arguably have been, practical benefits.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    My big question is why are we spending millions of dollars trying to prove or disprove Dark Matter when I can see very little practical applications of it at all.
    You're so wrong bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    TOPIC: Dark Matter.

My big question is why are we spending millions of dollars trying to prove or disprove Dark Matter when I can see very little practical applications of it at all. I get the whole "For the sake of science and curiosity" argument, but dark matter is a far different study and investment from, say, space travel, which was so unknown when it began that there may have been, and arguably have been, practical benefits.
    Dark Matter is extremely important, it tell us that the space is not empty at all, and that there is mater in the space. As we know little or better to say nothing about it, we need to study, specially because you never know what discoveries you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    well i'm not one of those people who accepted theories as facts anyway, actually i'm annoyed why people sometimes answer my question with theories
    Why do I get the feeling that you don't know what a scientific theory actually is?