Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help me get better by being a critic. Just don't be all mean. I could cry.

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar

ash and pikachu, my first colored pencil request it brings back memories. :P if you want to see it bigger go to my request's gallery

HEYYY... i remember this i requested it
    and yes i did say that FACE IS TOO DARK love the pose and pikkachu

Oh I see. I didn't know you were using a mouse and that changes things a bit. When you're a mouse painter it helps if you can scan in your line work. If you can't I recommend taking some extra time to clean the line art you create with a mouse. Also, use the fill bucket to block in your color instead of doing it by hand. You'll save time and get rid of those pesky white spots everybody keeps mentioning. Just make sure the area you fill in is completely contained in your line art!

What I said earlier about practicing making lines with the mouse still stands.

What Cyp said about using a more powerful program/GB also stands. The GB is for practice. Nobody will care if you haven't learned to use the mouse yet. We're here to help not to make fun of you. Also if you'd rather draw on your own there are several free paint programs floating around out there like Paint Tool SAI (and God do I ever love that program).

One more thing: I found this tutorial that may help out. It's in Photoshop, but the things in there should generally work the same way in GB or SAI or any other program.

Quote Originally Posted by trilokcool3 View Post
    HEYYY... i remember this i requested it
    and yes i did say that FACE IS TOO DARK love the pose and pikkachu
    i kno, i remembered you saying that, i messed up and colored to darkly on that one(tho it was pretty good for a first try in my opinion

Here's a better version of my character Light.

GIVE SOME symmetrical nature to your character .....
    and yes PAY ATTENTION TO POSE ......about body bending
    in first picture make the left (ours) leg almost 90 degree ...
    also bend body according to it...
    ITS BETTER IF YOU STAND INFRONT OF MIRROR AND FIGURE IT OUT...

Define Symmetrical nature.

Quote Originally Posted by trilokcool3 View Post
    GIVE SOME symmetrical nature to your character .....
    ITS BETTER IF YOU STAND INFRONT OF MIRROR AND FIGURE IT OUT...
    First of all, Final Fantasy, dude. One of the most popular game franchises out there, not a lot of symmetrical character designs. Second of all, "Stand in front of a mirror and figure it out?????" How helpful of you. e_e

Tri is right about one thing though. Your characters are lacking balance in their poses. They don't feel grounded or look like they're actually standing in the physical world. They're um. . . "floaty," I guess is a good word xD This can be fixed by studying how people stand, walk, pose, etc. . . in real life and paying attention to perspective. Also in the first picture his weapons are really just floating there at his sides. Heavy objects on chains tend to obey gravity and will hang straight down unless being swung. But for all I know he could have psychic powers or something and is making them floaty but even still one should still be conscious of weight when creating the shapes and form of the weapons and to make sure there is a contrast between grounded people and objects and objects that are disobeying physics xD
    Last edited by Total_Loser; 10-20-2011 at 11:09 PM.

yea i kno, on the first one, that happens a lot because i draw with the pad sideways. the second i messed up with the pose. it was supposed to appear as if someone was looking up at him, but i'm not very good at it. thanx for the critique

I too know the woes of accidentally drawing on a slanted sketch book :I "Ho man this is gonna be the best drawing in the history of-- . . . Aw shit." It's all good man :3