Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Help me get better by being a critic. Just don't be all mean. I could cry.

101 Dalmations Member ScarletHue's Avatar
    Ok, so in order to aid as much as possible; Please understand that I'm not the best at mincing my words.

So I'll break my crit down into sections.

The Anatomy and Proportion...The sucky stuff.

His bodily proportion is fine, I can't detect any problems with it really. One might argue that the forehead is huge based on the size of the hat but clothing is to be covered later.

The anatomy though, needs work. The first thing is that torsos -even the male torso- is not that straight. I like to think of a bean shape when getting the basic structure for it down. Shoulders don't tend to come out at right angles, again even on males. Try to slant them even if only slightly. With the arms, pay attention to the individual sections. The main areas of the arm to indicate are the deltoid, bicep and tricep, forearm and wrist. Try not to draw the arm as two tubes connected by the elbow. Some one recommended posemaniacs.com above me, I second that when it comes to learning the anatomy.
    The most important thing for you to take away from this section really is that the human body doesn't have very many straight lines or right angles. Things are more curved in the natural form.

Clothing

First thing is, the design itself is pretty cool. What it lacks is folds. All cloth folds as it hangs over the body. You need to try and indicate those folds to give the body more form. It will really help making things look 3D as well. And that brings me nicely to the other point about clothes; Try to remember that they are worn on top of the body and as such it should look and feel as though there is a body underneath, they don't just 'pin on'.

Foreshortening

It's great that you've experimented with this. I never used to do this sorta thing and still try to avoid it now where possible. It's not easy stuff. Saying that, I think you've handled it pretty well. The arm really does look like its coming toward the viewer. The issue is the way you've drawn the hand and the..sword I believe it is. Things get really confusing after the hand and it's difficult to see what things are. Don't be afraid to use reference if you're not sure how things should look. You can even use your own body as reference if you look in the mirror or take a picture.

Composition

There isn't a lot that can be said about this because it's just a single character. But from the caption or title underneath I can only assume that the page is some sort of cover page or something similar. In which case I'd have dramatized the pose a little. Get the shoulders moving in the opposite direction to the hips is the easy way of making things more dynamic. The foreshortening does help to add interest though so it's great you included that. His expression could be a little less 'plain' to make things more interesting. And the last thing to note is about the balance, he seems to be falling over to one side; be careful when drawing that the character is well balanced (unless they are falling!) Easy trick for this is if you can draw a line straight down from the nose neatly in between both legs then the character is in perfect balance.

Hands and Feet

The foreshortened hand is confusing but you did a great job on the other hand. The feet however, Again I suggest looking at references.

Here's a quick deally to help you out. I apologize because I can't draw for shit with my mouse.

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar
    Trilok-Thank you, I was aware that the legs were two skinny, just that whenever I tried to thicken them I messed up badly. I don't think I understand what you mean by "it bends relative to the page." I would appreciate if you could enlighten me just a bit more on what you meant by that.
    Gedeon-Thank you for the website, it looks incredibly helpful. I'm only familiar with anatomy of the bones and basic muscle anatomy. So, as you suggested, I shall study anatomy.
    ScarletHue- Your review was really helpful, I actually use the bean shape, The clothes are meant to be loose, but, I do believe that there is a thing as too lose, and not adding enough definition to my characters muscles and such. The bean shape works, but in the red-lines above the pose looks sassy, which it wasn't meant to. I have started using references, since before this review, but this is a rather old drawing, it's about a month old. Which isn't really that old, but for the stage that I'm in right now it kind of is, because I'm constantly evolving. I could easily destroy my self-esteem with both of these drawing by making such a hurtful critique that I cried. Hence the reason the tile says not to make me cry. Thank you very much. I hope you get your tablet back soon, lol.

Dunno if it work's...
    Last edited by GAbRieLWrIgHt; 07-20-2012 at 09:23 PM.

The image link is broken

I think the idea works, but the presentation could use a little bit of work. I find that neater and sharper linework makes painting neater too. If the tools you use can make straight lines and symmetrical ellipses for you I think you should try to use them when you prep your sketch for painting

101 Dalmations Member Snooderflubbyguppy's Avatar
    i love how reading these helps me aswell. ill post something when im done with it.its taking a while (havnt been on computer all that much lately)

It did. I do. I just don't like using them, it feels stiff to me. I'll try it though.

Quote Originally Posted by GAbRieLWrIgHt View Post

Dunno if it work's...
    Loving the LoZ Fanart look out for the faces and the eyes though, particularly the eyes, the way you drew the right eye on linebeck makes it look like his eye is sticking out of his face