Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: TKT's ART WORKS i wanna improve MORE

@Blue dragon
    well that was my very first of this kind of paintings and that without reference ... .Actually at that time when i finised this ...i thought its complete one..well may be i will work a more to finalise..
    ok here these are my new works...
    took me 4-6 hr to complete those .... Just want to know more about colorings and stuff. Here are some methods i used like
    1. brush tool
    2. eraser tool
    3. smudge tool
    all operated at various opacity levels . This is all i know. But are there any other techniques that can be used in PHOTOSHOP while doing these kind of paintings ..???

Hiya. These look pretty good so far, but I agree that they could look more "finished". One of the biggest things I've had to learn when trying to get a piece of art to a finished point was patience. If you look at your art and think "this looks great, I can't see anything else that I want to fix or change," then awesome it's definitely finished. If you do see things you would like to change or improve then you're not finished. Don't put a time limit on it. Most of the pieces I work on now take closer to 30-40 hours of solid work to finish. I don't do it all at once but I take my time to make it as close to what I envision as I can.

That said, I have several suggestions for coloring in photoshop. First, do NOT use the Smudge tool. Instead, do all your blending with your normal brushes. This brings me to my second suggestion. Use 100% opacity and do not have it affected by pen pressure. Instead, make your Flow 80-90% and have it be controlled by pen pressure. This gives you a similar affect as you get with opacity but is slightly different. I find I have more control over my colors this way. When you do this, you can slowly blend between colors using your brush. In case you don't know the process of blending, aka rendering, you have two colors and you select one color and paint a stroke that overlaps both colors. You then select the color of this stroke and paint another stroke closer to one side. This gradually will blend the colors. I find I have much more control blending this way. It's a bit of work to do, but worth it in the end.

The problem when you use smudge is that the colors get "washed out". Basically everything moves towards brownish/gray muddy colors. The vibrance of the color is sapped from the piece. At any rate, I hope some of this made sense.

oh wow.... that really helped.I tried the blending process and its really a great technique solved most of the issues i had earlier.
    That thing 80-90% flow really helped . Thanks again.
    About the previous drawings let me see if i can dig more.

It does seem possible to get good results through blending with the smudge tool (Genzoman appears to use it for everything he does), but I've not been able to replicate the effect myself.

@Gaff That's interesting. I looked him up and he has some pretty awesome work. I'd venture to say though that the majority of professional artists out there don't use the smudge brush very often. Learning how to render is probably worthwhile either way.

The smudge brush could be useful when working in a soft cell-shading format where you have separate layers for each color though. It really depends on your workflow. I prefer to work on fewer layers. It feels closer to traditional painting.

At any rate, I'm glad you learned something from my rambling, TK3.

Genzomen worked because the smudge was done in grey scale. If im not mistaken that is =.=;

Yeah, he seems to be very much in the minority. His approach is quite unusual; going by his process video on youtube, he seems to paint everything in skintone colours first (rather than greyscale as such), then colourise the rest of the image using that as a starting point. It's interesting to watch anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtUxbxHgu8

Quote Originally Posted by trilokcool3 View Post
    @Blue dragon
    well that was my very first of this kind of paintings and that without reference ... .Actually at that time when i finised this ...i thought its complete one..well may be i will work a more to finalise..
    ok here these are my new works...
    took me 4-6 hr to complete those .... Just want to know more about colorings and stuff. Here are some methods i used like
    1. brush tool
    2. eraser tool
    3. smudge tool
    all operated at various opacity levels . This is all i know. But are there any other techniques that can be used in PHOTOSHOP while doing these kind of paintings ..???
    SPOILER! :

SPOILER! :

I really like these. My only thing would be with the spider man one; the angle of his feet seem a bit strange, I feel like the way he's positioned would make it so that his right (our left) foot would be behind that little bump in the building that he's holding onto. Also his left foot appears just slightly too small (not sure about this one, might be just me looking at the picture the wrong way).
    EDIT: for some reason there appears to be a random spoiler at the start of my post, cant find the reason why o_O