Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: BozArts: More empty Promises

still too lazy.. but i'm keeping on drawing..

Yay!!!! first time coloring!

Yay!!! first time shading and colouring!!! I need C&C on this one so i can improve... so please C&C...

Quote Originally Posted by BozeSG View Post
    Well, i've got exams so i don't have time for creativity, i'll just keep on doing stuff to not let go of drawing till the exams are over... bleh, i'm just really lazy these days...
    http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7...tpractice1.jpg
    I can see you've used some of the advice and crits, but make sure you are consistent with them. Just because the boy is wearing sandals, doesn't mean you can get lazy and do another "square foot" :0 (sandals have sole shapes too). The older guys (father's?) shoes are done very well, and yet again, the composition of the pic is very good and far from boring. The main problem here is anatomy. On the older guys left hand (the hand on the right) the thumb is on the wrong side of his hand. I use to make this mistake a lot myself, just remember to pay close attention to what your drawing. The first thing I noticed when I looked at this pic was the boys arms and hands. they are way too big. I think I understand that you were going for a "exaggerated perspective", thats why the hands are bigger, right? The truth is the arm on the left (his right arm) is really at the wrong angle for this kind of perspective. The hand would've looked fine if it was normal size. Same thing goes for the other hand. This would make a lot more sense if I had done a red line, but I really don't have time right now o-o maybe later if you still want it.

still too lazy.. but i'm keeping on drawing..
    http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1301/fight21.jpg
    This is really some good stuff man! keep doing stuff like this. I think right now your weakness is really feet, so make sure to take extra time on them.

:A: wow....you're really improving. You put the wrinkles in the right spots! the hand on the right (his left hand) is just a tiny bit too big, but thats really all I see.

Yay!!! first time shading and colouring!!! I need C&C on this one so i can improve... so please C&C...
    http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/8113/main21r.jpg
    Not bad, not bad. I know you're probably focusing on coloring but don't rush through your line art, its just as important (i would have liked to see some laces on those boots *shrug*). As far as coloring goes, its not a bad start. I cant really understand where the light source(s) are though. Also don't be afraid to use darker tones.
    Last edited by NWAP; 06-02-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Total screw up

Thanks for looking (finally)....

-I don't know why but i always thought child characters should have big hands, oh well, guess they shouldn't... oh, i can't believe i made the thumb mistake (and the square feet!), i'll make sure i won't do that again...

-Feet, feet, feet, feet, feet... got it! i mean, how should i improve them?

-Thanks for that, actually that one is done without guidelines (the next one too), i don't really understand but i feel much more free when i don't use them, is that bad?

-The light source is supposed to be from the character's left side, i don't know about the line art, i actually put some thought into it when drawing (like using bolder lines for the parts that are nearer, used a reference for the gun, etc.) so i'd appreciate it if you could tell me the mistakes i made for the line art. (laces, got it!)
    Last edited by BozeSG; 06-02-2011 at 05:28 PM.

I joined DeviantArt!!!! i dunno why i hadn't done that up until now...

anyway, i found a very good solution for feet, I JUST WON'T DRAW THEM!!! ...jk, but i'm going to work on them after i get finished with my exams... please C&C on this one...
    Last edited by BozeSG; 06-05-2011 at 11:25 AM.

101 Dalmations Member Scarletlight's Avatar
    C&C meaning Critiques and comments right ? In that case il try to leave something a bit more extensive than I usually would.

Foreshortening
    Its cool that you play around with Foreshortening, its a difficult thing to master. The only thing I suggest with the foreshortening is that you go dramatic if you use it! . Youve done a good job with the amount you gave but actions like that work best exaggerated so bring the hand even more forward! see an even more foreshortened arm !

Anatomy
    Starting with the face, I think you did an overall good job with it. Just be careful of the ear because it seems to take a strange shape. There not something that much emphasis is placed on so you can get away with them not being perfect, but you should make them a bit less jagged and I recommend you look at how hair falls over them because I think thats what makes the shape look odd.

No real problems with the body as most of it is covered with baggy clothing anyway. The hands though, the thumb on the foreward hand looks the same as the other fingers. The thumb in real life has quite a different shape to the rest of the fingers so try to capture that. Its also lower down the hand then the rest of the fingers, which you have done but it doesnt look quite right. For example the tip of my thumb line up just below the centre of my longest finger. I think thats an average thumb length and placement. And the fingers themselves aren't just cylindrical shapes but have three different main sections that you would probobly be able to see hints of even through the gloves.
    edit : Looking back at your other work it seems you draw the hands alot better other times, perhaps its just the gloves.
    Gesture and the general figure
    It feels to me like he is standing rather arkwardly because of the angle of his back compared to the hips. It is do able, just not very natural. I think you were going for a slight backward lean which I think you get well. But the way hes off to the one side makes it look like an uncomfortable twist. I would suggest the hips be alligned slightly differently (perhaps more dynamic movement if you want that same pose).

Clothing
    The folds the folds the folds. There crucial to alot of peices , especially when the character is the main thing. There are specific places folds appear naturally and it feels to me like you have just guessed. Guessing is good because its only through trial and error that you will get it right. But I think there are too many in unusual places. For example the arm coming forward has too many jagged 'sticky out folds '. Usually those kind happen at the elbow and the wrist and not much else on the arm. The parts in between do have folds but there 'inner folds' indicated with just lines loosly and sparingly inside the clothing.

I think with the back arm the clothing on the elbow sticks out too much
    The folds you have got on the torso seem about right to me but perhaps there could be more as the jacket flows off and down ?

Shading
    I feel like the clothing shading is in all the right places which is great, gives a real feeling of a light source. To make that even more effective you should perhaps darken one side of the face in that particular angle to give some depth and as the light comes slightly from the top, there might be shade over the forehead cast by the hair.

Speaking of the hair, im unsure how to shade it correctly so sorry about that, but the way you have done it just seems to show me where his skull is rather than give volume to the hair. Hopefully someone else can tell you exactly what should have been done.

Oh and as NWAP said, dont neglect the line art. It can really add that proffesional touch when you get those line wieghts right!

I hope thats helpful for you. I see some really creative characters actually and a variety of clothing designs.

Fenn
    Nice work! I wish I could draw hands like you can!

I'm liking what I see here! you only just started drawing and you are already attempting things mosts artists dont in the first year of drawing, that's great, I think you should definitely look into anatomy study and practice drawing poses daily from www.posemaniacs.com this will speed up your hand to eye coordination and you will learn fast from copying from life too, hope to see a lot more!

So many comments! thanks everyone...

Scarletlight: Thanks for the ultra super mega awesome critique!!!
    -DRAMATIC!!!!!! got it...
    -Never noticed the ear's problem, thanks for pointing it out!!! i now know what was REALLY wrong with the face...
    yeah, actually i was thinking of something like a leather glove when i drew that, but you're quite right, my most problem with hands is the thumb....
    -I intended for the pose to be a bit unnatural since the character himself was supposed to be unnatural, but i don't get what you mean by "the angle between the hip and the shoulder", i thought i drew them parallel to each other (looking at it again, the coat is really misleading, it might be because of that :P)...
    -folds..... every point you made about them is completely valid and i will try to have them in mind next time i'm drawing...
    -I tried shading the forehead but actually i was afraid of it becoming unnatural so i did it with so little difference in colour that it's barely visible, and yeah i seriously need some practice on shading the hair...

@Fenn: Thanks! hands were the only things i could use as reference in the middle of the class back when i started drawing so it's nice to know they somehow paid off...

@Cloudy-chan: WOW! that's a really awesome site!!! i'll try learning from there as much as i can... oh, and thank you for the comment....

EDIT: my second attempt on up-view failed as well

(i got annoyed and got over everything really quickly so it looks really horrible now...)
    Last edited by BozeSG; 06-06-2011 at 05:57 PM.