Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: BozArts: More empty Promises

Heya Boze, good to see you're expanding into color. My only complaint is that your range of value is very narrow which makes it look kind of flat. I'm not sure which program you are using but it can be helpful to look at the image in grayscale from time to time to check your values. This is easy to do in Photoshop and a bit more of a pain in SAI. It also looks like you only use a soft brush, you should try using a brush with a hard edge as well especially if you're filling in base colors. I know of a couple different techniques for coloring if you'd be interested in hearing about them.

yo! for colouring this i just took the easiest route i knew and that was to fill in the base colour with paint bucket ---> do lighter and darker brushes on different places ---> blend them...

of course!! i already feel that is an utterly lame way so i REALLY would appreciate it if you would tell me about those techniques...

That's one route that you can take. It's not lame if done well. I think the problem lies with an over use of the blend tool which is pretty common. So there's a few different looks that you can go for and the methods change depending on what look you're going for. So first you need to decide how you want your coloring to look. Here are some basic styles.

1) Cell shading - basically the same as the coloring you see in anime - fairly simple and quick to do.
    2) Soft cell shading - uses cell shading as a base and then applies gradients and some blending in order to get a more three dimensional look
    3) Full Painting - Exactly what the name implies, a fully painted picture

Hmm... then i think my most preferred would be the second one, but i feel like i need to know the third one for my manga... i guess i'll start with the second and then try the third (or are they so different that it's not possible...?)

anyway, imma go with the second one now. any tips (or perhaps where i can find tutorials..)? and what did you exactly mean by overusing the blend tool?

The real thing that you should focus is the lines, I don't really know how much your hands shake but you have to figure out a way to make good line and curve with your stroke of hands.

I can't make any advice since I don't actually see your hands or how you hold your pen and stuffs so you have to figure it out your self.

I agree with Ram that working on making smooth confident lines is something you should focus on. But the coloring process isn't that difficult, so I don't see why you can't work on that as well. The most important part for soft cell coloring is how you set it up.

1) Line art - you need to have good clean line art to use first and foremost. Keep this as the top layer.
    2) Base Color layer(s) - I find it easier to have multiple layers: one layer for each base color - some people use one base color layer but make it so that they can easily select each color area with the magic wand tool. I'm going to discuss the multiple base color layers method.
    3) Shadow Layers - Depending on how you do your base color layer(s), you again choose one of two methods. If you chose to use multiple layers then you can use clipping layers - basically a layer that is grouped with the base color layer and uses the base color layer as a mask so you only paint on top of the base color. These layers are always above the base color layer (obviously). Each base color has its own shadow layer.
    4) Highlight Layers - Same as shadow layer, just use another clipping layer. Making clipping layers is slightly different depending on what program you are using - if you are having a hard time figuring how to set them up let me know what program you're using.

Here's an example of how the layers may look in the Layer window:

- Line work Layer
    - Highlight (Base color 1)
    - Shadow (Base color 1)

- Base Color 1
    - Highlight (Base color 2)
    - Shadow (Base color 2

- Base Color 2

Once you have all these set up you can start to add the darker values to the shadow layers and the light colors to the highlight layers. At this point you can start to do your cell shading. Just use one darker value for shadows and one lighter value for the highlights. After you've defined the shadows and highlights then you turn on "Preserve Opacity" (I think that's what it's called) for each layer and you can blend or paint gradients however you see fit.

That's the basic method that I used for a while. It seemed to work well. It kind fell out of favor with me because I felt like it was too robot-like and I wanted a more organic method of painting.

sup guys!! sorry for just disappearing like that, i went back to my country during christmas and have been busy with studies ever since i got back...

i know that my lines are really bad, im really trying to make them as smooth as possible but my tablet's got these shaking the pointer habit, i don't have this problem when im drawing on paper...

nisaren, that's an awesome tutorial, im still really busy with studies but i already made a line art and im going to try that out whenever i have time again...

C&C would be greatly appreciated...

Waddap folks! it has truly been a very long time. i am back now after enduring hell itself, and in that time ive grown rusty in my drawing skills. so today in an epic battle, i fought against the procrastination demon and held up my dusty tablet to once again indulge myself in drawing and trying to improve even a bit. getting right down to business, here is a cover i drew for this novel im trying to write, C&C would be greatly appreciated as always...

sorry for the big image

This looks good the one thing I notice first of all is that in the female is that her eyes aren't level, the far away one is much higher up the face than the closest eye. Also her waist looks a tad thin, but that is a stylistic thing. Nice foreshortening on the arm and the gun and I love the expression you gave the guy hope this helps

Nice cover, like the way the legs are not drawn (faded away). One thing i noticed is the left upper arm of the guy. It looks as if it is very long compaired to the underarm. :P