Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: BozArts: More empty Promises

Come on, people, i need critiques!

I have 2 suggestions:

You should work on basic anatomy and basic shapes

http://alexhays.com/loomis/
    I suggest you use loomis and get an anatomy book.

You should also draw squares, triangles, circles etc. and add shading onto them. It will help you with the 3D feeling.

OK, i started to work on shading. but can you be a bit more specific about the anatomy? i'm sorry but i can't download much because of my slow internet. can you tell me which parts i should work on?
    Last edited by BozeSG; 02-22-2011 at 08:41 AM.

I suggest you work on the basics. Use stickmen, and basicshapes to get the proportions and poses. After you feel confident doing that, work on more specific things like arms, legs, chest etc.

Hehehehe, i didn't do any drawings for 1.5 month! i recently immigrated and changed places so pardon me if you notice the big gap between my last post and this post... and getting straight to the point, these are two doodles/sketches i drew: please C&C...

I AM using stickmans for guidelines, they're not there only because i ink my drawings.
    Last edited by BozeSG; 04-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.

here's another one....

Your stuff is looking p good there. I noticed that you somewhat over do the creases on you characters cloths specially on the pants to the point where you make the legs look like jelly. You should try to estimate where the creases are so you don't overdo it. I suggest you do some outlines of your characters body first then you draw the cloths over it. You seem to be doing ok with body anatomy but you could still work on it more. I can't really crit on shading cuz my shading sucks too OTL but other then that you seem to be doing fine. Keep it up.

First of all, I have to say that your perspective is THE best I've seen with a new artist. I recommend incorporating it into more of your pictures. Right now, you have these awesome-looking 3D pictures, but also some really flat stuff that looks like it was done months before your perspective stuff. Everything in life is 3D, so why shouldn't your pictures be? Unless you're doing concept art, there's no real reason to draw 2D poses. Even when you're running--a typically potential 2D pose--your arms and legs are at different angles, your shoulders and hips are going opposite directions, etc. I recommend drawing from life: reference drawing. You're not gonna stumble across the right lines by just guessing, especially for things like folds and creases. I also recommend shading. When you draw from life, inevitably, you'll see places on your subject that are darker or lighter than others. Define those areas in your drawings with the side of your pencil, or if you're using a pen, different variations of hatching and crosshatching and such. And reference.

Let me say this: you, ShaunG, are one of the best new artists I've ever seen. Tackling perspective when you haven't even drawn for a year is amazing in itself, and your lines are clean and economic (for an example of things that are NOT clean and economic, there's my stuff, with fifty different lines drawn to depict the head and over 9000 for the eyes). Please keep them that way. Beautifully clean lines are part of the reason manga is so great. Some sketchy styles are cool, but for the most part, cleanliness owns.

Did I mention reference?

Also, consider reference.

Reference will make you better.

The cake is a lie. The reference is not.

If I want anything to stand out from my critique, it's ref--*is shot*
    Last edited by Matt; 04-24-2011 at 05:13 PM.

@MiKuMRu: Yup, creases on pants are the most problematic for me, i draw the body outline first but after that unless there's a few accessories attached to it i cant seem to get the creases right, specially on loose clothings which - as you pointed out - turn out like jelly mountains.

@Matt: Doing things in 3D is troublesome, but i guess i'll try to do it every time i draw. my shading sometimes turn a drawing which turned out a bit cool after thinking a lot about it, into something ridiculous and i bought a bamboo tablet last week for inking my drawings (since i don't have a scanner anymore ) and it's a bit harder to do the shadings now.

my worst problem is that i do most of my drawings in school breaks, ( i'm not really at home much ) so usually the only thing i can use as reference is my hands, but now i guess i have to manage my time better and also references are important to the point of getting shot so, more time on drawing, here i come.

and thanks for all the compliments, i feel really inspired right now
    (these smilies are really convenient, aren't they?)

and also here's another drawing:
    Last edited by BozeSG; 04-25-2011 at 08:10 AM.

This is the first time i'm drawing something entirely on a graphic tablet, C&C greatly appreciated.