Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What it takes??

101 Dalmations Member
    intelligence. . . .
    it beats talent. . .. and of course. . .hardwork. .

I don't like to use the word Manga-ka cause im not one... I'm a Comic Artist but eitherway you need : Patience- ALOT of it! , skill, The ability of story telling!, decent equipment, to not be afraid to show EVERYONE your work, a team of critiques , not to be afraid to go out of the box (e.g. look at other forms of comics) and alot of Faith in your own work!
    Hey Check out my blog! where I add my Comic BREAKER- and all sorts of fancy artwork
    www.jahkofhearts.blogspot.com
    or www.poniesonmeth.blogspot.com

you need to be focused most of the time so you dont drift off and make mistakes

More than anything I would say it takes focus.... I consider myself to be a decent artist, but I doubt I could even successfully create a comic for one reason: I lack focus.

But then again, I suppose I don't know much about the life of a manga-ka. I imagine they get tired of their own work at some point though.

yes that is true if your wanting to get published like im trying to youll always get back to working on it sometime i mean im up till 1-2 am working on ideas and drafts lol

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I'm manlier than a mangaka girl (I kick everyone asses).

To be a mangaka you need:
    -live in japan.
    -have publishers who want your work.
    -work with others.
    -Sell your shit (if you shit doesn't sell you are doomed).
    Well with the way manga and anime is spreading all of the world do you think that in the near future you have to actually live in Japan to become a Mangaka? I mean, there is all kinds of talent in the world, why limit it to one country?

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Luck
    A chance
    A willingness to take or do any work that you can even if it's not your ideal project.
    A fan following.
    An ability to take critique and learn new ways of doing things.
    A willingness to sacrifice allot of time with others to get work done.
    Awesome time management skills to keep deadlines.
    Be able to work quickly thru art blocks or overcome laziness and get shit done.
    Ability to keep moving forward and not dwell or dawdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Slurpee View Post
    Well with the way manga and anime is spreading all of the world do you think that in the near future you have to actually live in Japan to become a Mangaka? I mean, there is all kinds of talent in the world, why limit it to one country?
    Then you will become a comic book artist/writer.

I think the only difference I have seen between manga and comic is mangas are only made in japan (I know, it's a silly difference). So if you can do a manga outside of japan, then it would be a manga? or it would be a comic?

Also the industry of the "manga" is way different at the one of the comics and sadly, in japan, publishers are more interested in sell stuffs that have merchandise potential, and only few people are supported to do other things.

I thought manga is a japanese word that translate to english it's comic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga

Exactly, so can you become a manga artist?

If you don't live in Japan, you don't, people are going to call you comic artist, no matter what you say.