Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A true artist

Out of curiosity, would you watch someone who does video tutorials by drawing reference patterns?

Hmm the artist side of me?

Well.. the inspiration to draw comes to me over ANYTHING! I can watch a movie, read a book, read a comic, surf the internet, go for a walk.. I've been inspired to draw just by sitting on the front porch smoking a cigarette by myself, and notice how the sun in the morning hits the leaves of the tree by my door, the colors so vibrant.. the shadows cast on the ground and the sunrise in the distance. I can look at someone that's dressed uniquely and get inspired. I drive past a building with interesting architecture and my perspective teachings grab a hold of me..

As for progression, it's all about studying and practice with me, both with the power of observation and consistency. Now I will admit that there are times when I can't be creative.. not like when I was younger.. and the technical side of my skill goes crazy..

But what do we learn from art in our life? Well.. you learn to accept your mistakes.. how to correct them.. you learn to pay attention to details... you learn to accept criticism and learn from others.. patience and understanding come from my artistic side as well.. without patience I could never learn the techniques and theories that are behind art. I've learned control through discipline in my field/hobby, being an artist to me.. is much more than being able to use a pencil, or paint. It's a way of life.. a philosophy of life.. just like I scrutinize every stroke in a piece of artwork, I scrutinize my actions, emotions, and thoughts... as I see patterns on paper, it makes it easier to see patterns in man.. in the universe even. Being an artist is much like the mentality in martial arts (ARTS!!) where you perfect your technique, test it against others, learn from masters and more skilled people.. my artistic understanding of the body even helps me in fighting (LARP FTW) as in I know the mechanics of the body and when some one is about to move it's easier for me to read. No.. art is not just drawing pretty pictures.. it's about discovering yourself... in my humble opinion

nope only tutorials i ever seen were those of anatomy books.....=w=.......and now i have problems with perspective and well everything that includes sharp edges.......-_-'
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Out of curiosity, would you watch someone who does video tutorials by drawing reference patterns?
    uuhh... yeah i would, but what's the point of it though. i don't really know if someone do that these days.
    I thought the best way to learn is for you to copy them then try drawing them without copying them and just recall it from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoslip View Post
    Hmm the artist side of me?

Well.. the inspiration to draw comes to me over ANYTHING! I can watch a movie, read a book, read a comic, surf the internet, go for a walk.. I've been inspired to draw just by sitting on the front porch smoking a cigarette by myself, and notice how the sun in the morning hits the leaves of the tree by my door, the colors so vibrant.. the shadows cast on the ground and the sunrise in the distance. I can look at someone that's dressed uniquely and get inspired. I drive past a building with interesting architecture and my perspective teachings grab a hold of me..

As for progression, it's all about studying and practice with me, both with the power of observation and consistency. Now I will admit that there are times when I can't be creative.. not like when I was younger.. and the technical side of my skill goes crazy..

But what do we learn from art in our life? Well.. you learn to accept your mistakes.. how to correct them.. you learn to pay attention to details... you learn to accept criticism and learn from others.. patience and understanding come from my artistic side as well.. without patience I could never learn the techniques and theories that are behind art. I've learned control through discipline in my field/hobby, being an artist to me.. is much more than being able to use a pencil, or paint. It's a way of life.. a philosophy of life.. just like I scrutinize every stroke in a piece of artwork, I scrutinize my actions, emotions, and thoughts... as I see patterns on paper, it makes it easier to see patterns in man.. in the universe even. Being an artist is much like the mentality in martial arts (ARTS!!) where you perfect your technique, test it against others, learn from masters and more skilled people.. my artistic understanding of the body even helps me in fighting (LARP FTW) as in I know the mechanics of the body and when some one is about to move it's easier for me to read. No.. art is not just drawing pretty pictures.. it's about discovering yourself... in my humble opinion
    very inspiring ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
    LOL never used tutorials. Only references. I cant say it helps me when someone explains me the facts and shows me a picture. I admit that i sometimes take my sketches to my mom and she shows me a couple of trick (mostly for perspective) but i don't think of it as a tutorial =w=
    I always sketched everything that seemed interesting at the moment. Never used skeletons for anything except the head and chest. The first notebook i drew all over was filled with my original charas (for every single one there was a little story and how they interact with the main 6 charas, and of course about that time bay-blade, Yu-Gi-Oh,digimon and pokemon were in the mainstream i put all those like atack points n stuff.) And at almost every 10-th of them was a tiny little thing i tried out, and gradually i worked up to where i am now(having no problems drawing curvy lines and anything rounded, but anything with jagged edges is a pain in the butt for me). I remmeber the feeling of admiration i got each time i saw a drawing on one of the tables in the school, it was ok, had decent anatomy and a cool yet simple design. An alien. And at that time it was unimaginable for me to draw anything similar to it, but now..........oh good lord how it feels good. i remember when in my last semester at my last year in the Elementary school i drew one of my charas next to it..........it made me feel like a god.......THe artist side of me is the competitive side that whenever it sees something awesome it wants to make something better the it, and i practise until i do. And when i see something that is lesser then my standard i feel as if i made another step to being better then those that i think are awesome......=w= so basically im a jerk who wants to be better then everyone.
    Dude your just like me in some way. I want to get better than everyone as soon as i possibly can.
    i admire cype and rei but not with the admiration of just being a fan boy, I admire them to want to defeat them and get better than them. that's why i'm going to put all i got in this saimoe competition.

@portogas
    haha you finally got a topic you want in this thread.

The point is that you see someone doing it rather than trying it yourself. Not necessarily more information, but for me at least, more understandable, like seeing a teacher do a problem than using a textbook to solve it.

Hmm. A true artist? Let's see... let me think up a huge list of perfect ideals... I'll use both gender terms for equality :P

A true artist is coordinated with her body. When she tries to draw a line, she doesn't draw a curve and vice versa. When she tries to draw a circle, she gets one - or something close. This makes her drawings fresh and crisp.

When drawing a subject, a true artist seeks to know everthing - and I mean every darn detail - about his subject. If he wants to draw an orange, he'll wonder what creates the little miniscule bumps on its skin. He'd want to know how fresh the orange is, because that affects its shape and markings, and he'll inspect it to see how much oil it has on the surface, because that affects how it reflects the light. He'll poke it, pinch it, and maybe even cut it apart. The wonkier true artists probably would wonder what it's like to be an orange.

A true artist always tries to learn more, and never assumes she knows everything. Even if she's the best artist in the world.

A true artist always thinks, with both sides of his brain. He never flails around wildly hoping for the best. Every marking he makes is meant to communicate something he's observed, or knows from memory, or has reason to believe is true. On the other hand, he is not so caught up with details that he forgets the big picture, and he also knows how to work by gut instinct.

Last but not least, a true artist enjoys what she does. She isn't results-oriented. She doesn't focus as much on the future when she'll get "really good at drawing," but she loves the process of creation so much that no matter what level of skill she has, she can usually come up with something attractive. These people never tire of what they do, so ironically, they often become more skilled than the goal-oriented ones.

well for me I'm not that confident to say that I'm already a true artist cause i hasn't really drawing for more than a year. but i guess the best thing that i learn is "think inside a box" and always consider drawing the hidden parts to make it accurate. That's the artist in me and that's all i can say i guess.

Ha, I definitely haven't made that list I've compiled. It's insanely hard, but it's not exactly impossible. Da Vinci made it, for one thing. :P

wow. I really though you made that. and it made me feel stupid cause i didn't even figured it out!. too bad i never any read any artists remarks

Well um. Some clarification is in order. I did "make" it, as in, I wrote it. But I haven't fulfilled it; not as such.

I have never understood people who watch youtube videos of people drawing with the motivation to learn. Like I can see videos, but not to learn, but more to appreciate. The same goes for tutorials, I'm awful to take attention to them, and I prefer to mess up the work but learning by myself than reading about it.

What I really like it's theory, reading theory of appreciation, composition and such is interesting, I think maybe is because, no one is telling me how to do things with the theory, and with tutorials they are almost saying "hey copy paste what I am doing".