Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A true artist

So you're a concept guy. Seems reasonable, I mean guys at Studio Ghibli didn't get where they are today by figuring every little thing out by themselves.

can't really argue with improvement on observation but still... I don't know how long would i be able to figure out things i learned from tutorials on my own. but i'm sure it's quite long...

Eh, not really... I mean, once you reach a certain level where you know so much, everything starts to fall into place and you get it all figured out on your own.

Always remember.. there's always more than one process to reach the same result.. just gotta find yours, and that's what tutorials (video & written) are supposed to help you do... it's mostly just an artist showing you their process.. you can try it out, tweak it, or whatever.. it's always good to learn from other artists.. I mean what's the difference between watching a video of someone drawing, and watching and learning in life?

Yeah, to learn anything and everything, one must first learn the art of imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoslip View Post
    Always remember.. there's always more than one process to reach the same result.. just gotta find yours, and that's what tutorials (video & written) are supposed to help you do... it's mostly just an artist showing you their process.. you can try it out, tweak it, or whatever.. it's always good to learn from other artists.. I mean what's the difference between watching a video of someone drawing, and watching and learning in life?
    I also like agree with Egoslip's earlier post too.

As for the artist in me, it's allways a work in progress. I find inspiration everywhere & I am not afraid to take a class or refer to some of the refrence material that I've compliled over the years. Especially if a manga artist or a comic artist I like has inspired me to a certain degree. I never emulate or copy works but I try to understand the mood & method of other artists. One thing that I've learned that works for me is to test myself. Try to make the skills that work for me sharper & faster. When I do & study another artist's style, I usually notice that they have some of the same methods that I thought were unique to me. To me, art is a living breathing thing that we all keep alive with our own creativity & ideas. It's the reason why I love www.mangatutorials.com so much, because we trade our ideas even if we don't realize it & thus, learn & grow together.