Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A difficult quest?

A difficult quest?

Whats up people in a few months time im opening a gaming bar and want to know how can i get more females intrested in games. At the moment there is a really small amount of female gamers and one of our main goals is to try and get more females to jam some games so if anybody has ideas please share with me thanx people

According to another study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2010, 40% of the game playing population is female, and women 18 or older now comprise 33% of all gamers. Also, the percentage of women now playing online has risen to 42%, up several percent since 2004. The same study shows that 46% of game purchasers are female (Entertainment Software Association).[6] In recognition of the importance of the issues of women and girls as game developers and players, the International Game Developers Association, an association of companies and individuals in the games industry, has formed a special interest group on Women in Game Development.[7] This is an active field of discussion and a topic in many conferences in the video gaming industry.[1][2]
    Round 40 percent of gamers are female that's not a small amount at all.

You should get nintendogs and cats, maybe cooking mamma. Women love those games.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Hmmm, I wouldn't take the gender of a person purchasing a game as a measure of how many females actually play games. It's not uncommon for moms to buy games for their children. 33% seems a lot more plausible. I dunno about the online gaming statistic as it's "advantageous" for men to pretend to be women in online games for scamming purposes.

Regardless, I don't think the issue is in getting more women to play games...but getting them interested in the same games that we're interested in.

I believe those esa numbers were done through polls. I seriously doubted they just counted a bunch of female avatars to come up with those figures. Anyway that's beyond the point. Here are more numbers because Im a stat junky.

But yeah the actual issue is what kind of games they want to play. Personally, I don't bother forcing genres on friends that aren't interested in them. Since I'll play pretty much anything I usually let them pick the games.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Now I'm really curious to see what this online game that all these women are playing is, since the numbers are staggering. I hardly ever encounter females online. I'm guessing it's like...Mahjong or something.

The girls I know are not tolerant of steep difficulty curves so I tend not to play their games and vice versa.

The vast majority of my female freinds are gamers.

Though that could be said about my freinds in general.

well i play a lot online and yes i have encountered many female gamers playing COUNTERSTRIKE ..!!!
    i usually join there SERVER . OH MY GOD .... never really challenge them ... they are awesome good in HEADSHOTS AND ALL...
    i USUALLY PLAY IN GARENA so till now 20 percent female that i have approx... counted....

out of the people im friends with who i play halo with nearly half of them are female o-o and one of them especially is obsessed with it

Fenn
    *readies flame shield*

Try Nintendo games.

A lot of Xbox Live games don't even offer female avatars. Nintendo games, while probably a bit less competitive, are more unisex than the gritty, super-masculine styles of many "hardcore" games, and offer female characters worth using (Peach and Daisy in Mario Kart, Samus in Brawl).

Just from my experience.