Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Vs Traditional

Talking Digital Vs Traditional

It's a age old war that's been going on for quite sometime, what do you think is better?

here is a small article I did on my blog to back my opinion that digital is better (but tradtional is more fun ^-^)

http://jahkofhearts.blogspot.com/201...s-digital.html
    Hey Check out my blog! where I add my Comic BREAKER- and all sorts of fancy artwork
    www.jahkofhearts.blogspot.com
    or www.poniesonmeth.blogspot.com

Personally, I prefer traditional. I like drawing pencil to paper; it feels much more natural to me.

And I have to comment on your blog article... the digital picture looked better because it had proper perspective. The traditional picture could look just as good with proper perspective and some shading.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Traditional is outmoded. Digital is the way to go if you want to get actual stuff done. They capable of producing same results, just one costs more, is less efficient, takes considerably greater effort and is messier.

one word: undo tool.

no but honestly whichever works better for the artist, digital is a bit more simpler but some people like the feel of traditional. In terms of feel, I find it funner to actually paint irl than to digital paint. In the end, I don't think one is seriously better than the other. It just depends on the artist's style and preference.

Personally, I do more digital things since I have a good tablet with a good program, but if the tools are available, I will do traditional. My only problem with it is transferring it to the computer (my scanner isn't that good and sometimes it's hard to capture the full potential of the drawing on camera :/).

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Traditional and Digital both have their perks. Therefore there really should be no war between the two.
    You gotta realize though, if someone starts out learning stuff digitally, they won't learn as much from their mistakes as they would traditionally. Instead they could just hit that back arrow and keep going at it instead of actually thinking about what they did wrong and having to erase the whole screw up. So in the end, that person doesn't have as much confidence in their strokes as much as someone who was rooted traditionally first.

BUT, this is the modern age. If you wanna make a living with art now, you have to be fluent digitally, or just be a complete badass Van Gogh because selling pieces in a gallery is pretty rare, especially with the prices (and if your name isn't very known...well). Not to mention the gallery takes half of what you make from a sale. So in the end, digital is really just the evolution of traditional, no need to pick one or the other.

I am more digital than anything now, but I try to keep up with drawing stuff on paper, because I realized a while ago. Once you lose that pencil on paper feel, it really feels like you're going backwards lol.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    also, you gotta die. this will hitch the prices up on your art, guaranteed.

I love both equally. My fickle nature won't let me decide which one I like better overall.

Like Cype said, gotta die before you get rich and famous.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I aim to prove that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by toast
    one word: undo tool.
    Has anyone else while drawing traditional try to go for the undo button and sadly realize there isn't one?
    OBJECTION!

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Your undo is the eraser. ;D