View Poll Results: Should we add a Sketchbook Section to MT's forums?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'd love to have a sketchbook section.

13 61.90%
  • No way! The Critique section and gallery is fine for me.

8 38.10%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Section Anyone? Please Vote!

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    No offense Seefy, but sketchdumping in private kind of defeats the purpose of being part of an art community.

Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    The Sketchbook Area would just be an area that allows for artists to post any of their art, without the expectation of critique or comment (unlike the Critique corner). Yes, you can do this with the Gallery, however, I think many view a "Gallery" as a place for finished works. Plus, as has been mentioned, the Gallery is not very well integrated with the forums and let's face it, most of us don't really look a whole lot at the Gallery. Looking for and following artists via the Gallery is not as easy or graceful as just looking through a forum thread.
    Allow artist to post any of their art without expecting critic? Its sound like the Gallery. It will obviously take the place of the gallery, because the gallery doesn't work, and this idea takes the same objective as the Gallery. Please read the whole discussion.

A Sketchbook Area would also lower the bar and encourage newer artists in posting their art. Many new artists (and even some older artists) are afraid to put their work up on display. Sometimes these pieces are things that they've spent a lot of time on and it's difficult to put it up for all to discuss. Right now we have two options for these people - the Gallery where it most likely won't be seen, or the Critique Corner where the point of posting is for others to come and find the flaws in it. I don't think either of those choices are really ideal in this situation. A Sketchbook would fill this gap by allowing people to post their art where it will be more likely to be seen and where harsh critiques are less likely. It would allow them to build up their confidence.
    Gallery work for what you are saying, so again, the problem the solution is not a sketchbook area, is that the gallery is not well implemented (and obviously the sketchbook area will take the place of the Gallery).

Having a Sketchbook Area would promote more posts because its not perceived as a potentially hostile area. Not saying the Critique Corner is hostile, however, the purpose of posting there is to receive critique and critiques are by default supposed to find and address problems or errors. Even the most well-intentioned critique can serve to shut down a new artist's desire to keep drawing.
    A) It wouldn't promote more post's, it will be completely opposite, it will only promote to the same people keep getting the same post's. See how the critique corner is working.
    B) If you stop drawing because someone has something to say about your work, then art is obviously not for you.

Maybe I'm different but I find it motivational and inspirational to see other people's art in various stages. It makes me want to create and anything that facilitates a creative atmosphere is a good thing. I could be mistaken in that feeling.
    And this is related to have a sketchbook area because of.... what?

Lastly, I believe it's probably quite a bit easier for Rio to just add another Forum area than to try to integrate the Gallery section with the Forums. The only concern that I heard her voice was that she wanted to make sure the area would be used, which I believe it would. Obviously you are all welcome to agree or disagree with this. After all its only my opinion.
    Easier =/= Better.
    We have had a lot of mini forum and section's to see how those have failed. Doing more of those is just going to fill the forum with useless sections.

Please read the whole discussion, because we have talked about most of these points.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    No offense Seefy, but sketchdumping in private kind of defeats the purpose of being part of an art community.
    Reason why the private album/profile in the gallery is retarded. Still, the purpose of sketchdump work's for the Gallery better than doing another section (we just need to integrate the Gallery better).

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    So we all pretty much hate the Gallery, huh. lol

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I don't hate it, I just never use it.

I must admit, I got a little carried away with my last post. Although, I don't appreciate the combative and inflammatory way that you address my arguments. Tact can be a useful thing in debate and life in general.

So stepping back, I think we need to realize that the only important thing is the initial question posed.

Do you want a Sketchbook Area?

It's a simple question which deserves a simple answer. The question is not, "Do you think other people want it?", but whether you yourself want it. Debating opinion that can't be supported by fact is rather pointless and who are we to choose for everyone else on the site? So I would implore you to please just answer the question and leave the BS at the door. I shall do the same.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I can honestly do without it. My answer, Nope.

We are not fighting about what "we want" or what "others want", we are discussing about if it's a good or a bad idea. And having this section, having the gallery and having the critic corner is just awful and will create the same old problems we have had all the time.

Also I don't hate the gallery, I have some stuffs uploaded in it, and it has some good features, but it has a lack of efficiency that its obvious.

well Rio was just worried if it will be used or not.
    so far there are 12 yes in the vote, so i guess it's no doubt about it now that it will be used.

i don't see it a bad idea, i just don't need it that's all.

edit: and yeah i do agree with nisaren that you used too much harsh words on his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    well Rio was just worried if it will be used or not.
    so far there are 12 yes in the vote, so i guess it's no doubt about it now that it will be used.
    So 12 votes are a true representative of the complete opinion of the forum. Because so far we have 19 votes in total and I'm pretty sure this is not even the 20% of all the users on the forum and on the gallery. So I don't know if 12 "yes" as a true representation of the forum, and not even represent if is a need.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    edit: and yeah i do agree with nisaren that you used too much harsh words on his comments.
    I'm kinda blunt, deal with it. Most of his comments didn't show that he read the discussion we had and how the idea of a sketchbook forum is not necessarily good (is better to make the gallery work than make another section that it's gonna be dropped away).

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    It seems that you're saying, though, that right now we don't currently have a place to sketchdump, which is why people want the Sketchbook Section. However, we are still an art community now, are we not? I may be misunderstanding, but I just don't see why we need a Sketchbook Section. People's current dumpings (which is fine) seem to find appropriate locations as it is, right?

I'm not saying I don't want to see sketch dumps or that I don't like them. Both of those are completely untrue. But I'm just saying that the current system is perfectly fine for accommodating such things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know?