View Poll Results: Should we add a Sketchbook Section to MT's forums?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'd love to have a sketchbook section.

13 61.90%
  • No way! The Critique section and gallery is fine for me.

8 38.10%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Section Anyone? Please Vote!

I think its a good idea, ever since gallery has been here instead of art threads I never visit forum anymore AND I never see any artists work I like either It's just too hard to track. and no one sees my art. It's just easier to have threads you can go through, to be honest I don't think the gallery works as well. why cant we have both a gallery and an art thread? one for showing off our art to those who use gallery and the other to receive comments and crit in the thread..and the crit section for those who want purely critique...

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I find this rather pointless. The gallery serves comment-based needs and the critique corner serves critique needs. Frankly our user population is no where near large enough to have created such a need for the sketchbook section.

/unpopular opinion

Personally, I'd be super happy if we had a sketchbook section. A lot of people don't even post their own art in the gallery section, and it'd be a lot easier to see who updated their art in a sketchbook section. Besides, I doubt it would hurt anyone if we created it. If it turns out to be a horrid idea for some reason, then we can take it away.

I like the critique corner and all, but not everyone uses it as something for purely criticism haha, including me xD If we had a sketchbook section, that would be balanced out. Critique corner can be for WIPS and finished pieces that we really want some criticism on, and sketchbook section can just be typical studies, sketches, finished drawings and doodles you've done.

But of course, the problem that would occur out of a sketchbook section is, who would use the gallery then? What would it's purpose be? Maybe Rio can change it into some time of artist of the month thing, or it can become some type of place to post good reference pictures or something.

Frankly our user population is no where near large enough to have created such a need for the sketchbook section.
    Wait, why? I personally think we have a huge population, and basically wouldn't a sketchbook section be an artist alley? And didn't the artist alley work pretty well for the old forum size?

Why have critic corner and art gallery.

^ Exactly.

Everyone's argument is hinging on the fact that the sketchbook section will mystically generate more activity than the Artist Alley, which serves the exact same purpose. Adding a sketchbook section to the forum would only thin out activity in both sections instead of creating more. If it was somehow integrated into the main site and the Artist Alley was shut down, then I would hop on board.

Yeah. The activity is not gonna change. And if you like change the name of the critic corner to artist alley again, is not like people are really making critics there, don't they? (even so I haven't enter to that section in a long time I don't think it have changed so much - same people doing comments to the same people).

The things that really can be a problem is that the art gallery can be private, this can (and I believe it does) slow down the flow of activity. Also because the mentality it's the same as in the critic corner (same people comment to the same people).

If the problem is the activity, people should get rewarded by their activity (don't know how and why). But if the problem is that you want a place to show pictures, then we already have 2.

Mmm, I see. Well, I just know that not many people use the critique corner for solely criticism, and I really just prefer the thread way of showing my artwork on this site. That's pretty much the main reason I'm for this sketchbook section thing.

If we don't go with a sketchbook/artist alley section of the site, we should at least find a way to encourage people to use the galleries more and comment/rate more in that part of the website. This way people who do actually use the gallery get more recognition, and a lot of us would feel better about using it.

In that case the forum and the site should be more united.

This is the same as the oekaki board problem, with the none unity of both parts it create different dimensions/world that never come together. To fix this, people need to be motivated to use both, it can be with rewards or with a explanation of a better use of both sections, so you can take the best of both parts.

Discussion with Toast through msn.

ClockHand.
    - the activity problem are us, well you in a more accurate case, this is because if you use the critic corner and you nag rio about how no one does anything to comment, then I will ask "do you comment to other members?" probably the ones you know, but the ones you don't you don't. Plane simple, the problem of both sections is the same, and is that users want comments but are afraid to do so
    - kodos, dokken are not the problem (she mentioned the people who doesn't do art before in the chat), they don't use the critic corner, so they don't influence the activity of it, but the same people who use it does, and they are the oens with the same behavior

Tzvety.
    - I see :/ It's the fact that I never see anything interesting to comment on when I look at a thread I guess
    - but no, I see what you mean...

ClockHand
    you have erika
    seffy
    afro
    cyp
    gunz (i was gonna write cunz)
    and you have million of new members who would appreciate a comment
    and you have commented on their stuffs, because you have always done that

Tzvety
    and the fact that its the critique corner, the newer members want recognition

ClockHand
    that's why it's named critic corner now, because it should motivate people to critic, specilly new ones and work with them and stop the behavior of commenting in the same threads of the same people
    the problem are us not they (I'm not the problem, I don't use the critic corner lol)

Tzvety
    the problem is the people who post there but don't help everyone there
    don't say us, you dont post there dude lawl

ClockHand
    and then they nag rio with "no one critic on the critic corner"

Tzvety
    hey maan I wasn't nagging her about that, I was saying "not everyone uses the critic corner for critics"

ClockHand
    why? because people keep the same behavior lol
    that's why I'm saying, people should be rewarded for helping, commenting, critiquing and such
    and both the critic corner and the art gallery should work together, not separated

Tzvety
    http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/...ayleL-Sketches
    no one commented in her thread
    Last edited by ClockHand; 07-31-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Just make the gallery more useful, then. As it is, the gallery is very detached from the rest of the active community, which is mainly in the forums.

It looks like we're all starting to converge in thoughts now.

But how do we fix our current problem? I agree with Toast that I like thread format better, because I like seeing everyone's work kept tidily together in chronological format. How can we better integrate the CC with the main site while making the gallery more useful?