View Poll Results: Should we add a Sketchbook Section to MT's forums?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I'd love to have a sketchbook section.

13 61.90%
  • No way! The Critique section and gallery is fine for me.

8 38.10%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sketchbook Section Anyone? Please Vote!

Sketchbook Section Anyone? Please Vote!

So some of you may have noticed and taken the time to check out my other post in the Moderator's section.

For those of you who haven't, I'd like to propose an additional section to the forums here at MT called the Sketchbook Section.

So what is this? Basically it's an area where members can maintain a continuous thread of their own work, effectively cataloguing their work that may not be Gallery worthy or wanting critique.

So my question to all of you is this: Do you want a sketchbook section and will you use it?

[EDIT]

Hmmm.... I think I hit a wrong button... didn't mean to make the votes public D:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
    I don't know. D: D: It would be nice if there was a way to edit the poll's options. Should I make another poll?? Hate to spam the forum.

I fixed it dude chill out

Ah thanks. ^^;

Fenn
    Sounds good, and I bet a lot of people would use it. But I personally would not. I haven't even uploaded any manga art yet...

Its like a 50/50 thing really...
    can I vote twice? XD

@Fenn I'm not sure if you're familiar with other art websites like Conceptart.org, CGSociety.org, etc. They use sketchbooks for more than just one type of art. Lots of people use it to post various studies they've been working on, sketches or thumbnails for projects, and other stuff like that. I personally would like the section because, in addition to giving me a devoted space to post studies and other things, I find it really inspirational and motivational to look at other people's art and see how they're practicing.

Technically, you can post that in the Critique forum, and I do this anyhow. But often times I'm not really expecting critique, if I get a comment or criticism then that's great.

I think the format of the Critique corner should evolve into more of an "I'm having (insert specific problem) with this piece - please give me some ideas" rather than "Here's my latest piece - give me compliments or see if you can find something wrong with it but either way I'm probably not going to bother to fix it". Basically, I see the Critique forum acting as a singular - How can I make THIS piece of art better. While a sketchbook thread is more geared towards How am I making myself better at art. Similar things, I know, but not the same.

@Slurpee What's keeping you on the fence with it?
    Last edited by nisaren; 07-26-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I think it's a good idea, mostly because I usually get crits on GB before I post anyway and I don't want to spam the Artist Alley with things people have already seen.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nisaren View Post
    @Fenn I'm not sure if you're familiar with other art websites like Conceptart.org, CGSociety.org, etc. They use sketchbooks for more than just one type of art. Lots of people use it to post various studies they've been working on, sketches or thumbnails for projects, and other stuff like that. I personally would like the section because, in addition to giving me a devoted space to post studies and other things, I find it really inspirational and motivational to look at other people's art and see how they're practicing.
    That's what the Gallery is for. Most of the time, it's there to post your artwork and not expect critique. Members can comment on each others work, rate it, and so on (though this can be turned off at the artist's choice). If you want to follow an artists work, you can just visit their page and check out their Gallery. Here's Black Shaggie's gallery, for example.

I will say though that it is easier to follow people's update in a thread than through the Gallery. On the other hand, a Sketchbook thread is basically a rehash of the Gallery unless you prefer uploading your art somewhere else rather than here.

Just playing devil's advocate. I am neither for or against a Sketchbook but I will make sure everyone knows everything before they decide.